Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sakeel1234 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 16, 2008, 06:19 PM
    Hot neutral wire
    I've come across a series of outlets which are all original to the house, but here is the rub.
    When testing the recepticals the tester says the hot and ground are reversed. When I test with a meter there is 120vac from hot to ground, 120vac neutral to ground and 0vac from hot to neutral. The service panel is wired correctly and all outlets on the circuit are wired correctly. How did the neutral become hot?
    stanfortyman Posts: 5,598, Reputation: 279
    Electrical & Lighting Expert

Sep 16, 2008, 06:29 PM
    The neutral is only hot because you are reading the voltage through a load. The neutral is not live, it is open somewhere. The "hot & ground reversed" is a classic symptom of this.

You need to check out EVERY receptacle on this circuit, working or not. The problem will be in the last working one, or the first dead one. It is impossible to tell which is which though, so you check them all.

I suspect you will find the wires just stuck in the back of the receptacles. This is called backstabbing, or quick-wired. These connections are notorious for failing.
    If you find these, remove the wires and loop them around the screws on the sides.
    Washington1 Posts: 798, Reputation: 36

Sep 16, 2008, 06:31 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by stanfortyman
    The neutral is only hot because you are reading the voltage through a load. The neutral is not live, it is open somewhere. The "hot & ground reversed" is a classic symptom of this.

You need to check out EVERY receptacle on this circuit, working or not. The problem will be in the last working one, or the first dead one. It is impossible to tell which is which though, so you check them all.

I suspect you will find the wires just stuck in the back of the receptacles. This is called backstabbing, or quick-wired. These connections are notorious for failing.
    if you find these, remove the wires and loop them around the screws on the sides.

I agree!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Neutral Wire is Hot [ 11 Answers ]

I have problem with on one of the electrical outlet in my house. The problem is this, I measured from (Neutral to Ground 120V, Hot to Ground 0V and Hot to Neutral 120V). The power on this outlet will shutdown If I plug a coffee maker, radio Ect... into this outlet. Can you please advice what...

Misuse of ground wire as neutral return wire in old house [ 5 Answers ]

Here a problem where the "obvious" solution scares me, need some advice on how to best proceed. My home (built 1920 with knob and tube type wiring) has been upgraded over the years by prior owners, but in many place still has active current in the old wires, in other places it is spliced into a...

Using the ground or (bare) wire for the neutral wire [ 2 Answers ]

I have a problem with some wiring that I ran for an outside motion light. Although the hot leg and ground wires are fine, the neutral wire is defective ( it may have gotten knicked or something). Of course, now the wiring is covered up behind a wall that I do not want to tear into if it can be...

Neutral wire is hot(has voltage potential like the black wire) [ 5 Answers ]

Hi, The problem started at midnight last week. One of my line in the basement is starting to have issue whenever I connect a water pump or appliances to the outlets. Before I plug the appliance in, the neutral is neutral(zero voltage), but when I plug the appliance in, the neutral is now...

Hot neutral wire [ 3 Answers ]

Half of the house, has no power. I checked everything I thought it was, but not having any luck. I checked boxes where the power is not working for loose neutral, nothing. I have checked for lost leg in panel, nothing. I have checked for loose neutrals in panel, nothing. I have also unplugged...

View more questions Search