Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Denise08 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 12, 2007, 07:59 AM
    Eviction in Maryland
    If I do not have a formal lease, can I evict a person without the court proceedings?
    LisaB4657 Posts: 3,662, Reputation: 534
    Expert

Mar 12, 2007, 08:03 AM
    No. If the person has ever paid rent then you have to follow your state's laws for formal eviction. That means providing a written notice which includes the appropriate time and then filing a lawsuit for eviction if the tenant fails to vacate within the notice period.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Mar 12, 2007, 08:12 AM
    Do you not have a current lease or never had one? If you do not have a current lease, then the terms of the original lease apply (except for expiration date and rental).

In either case, you are on a periodic lease. This means you can terminate that lease with a notice equal to one rental period (one month if they pay per month). If don't leave at that point, then you have to start eviction proceedings.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Mar 12, 2007, 08:32 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Denise08
    If I do not have a formal lease, can I evict a person without the court proceedings?
    Hello Denise:

You got some great advice. However, I'm going to take a different course with you. It may have some influence upon the potential landlords amongst our millions of readers.

Have you ever played Monopoly? Do you play poker? Do you know the rules of those games? Are you a driver? Do you understand the rules of the road? Did you read the manual at the driver's license place? I'll bet you did.

So why would you invest, say $100,000 or more, probably the largest investment you'll ever make, into a business, and not know the rules? They aren't any more complicated than Monopoly rules are. You can find a copy of them at the top of this forum on a "sticky".

excon
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 12, 2007, 09:10 AM
    Well you can not forceably evict, now you can give them an eviction notice to move out but if they laugh and just stay, you will have to go to court.

I found with a lot of my dead beats, ( it costs me about 100 bucks and several hours in court to evict) so I offer them 150 dollars paid when they are completely out of the house to move out in 3 or 5 days, if not I will use the court to evict.

Of course you never pay until the last piece of furture is out and you take possession. I spend about the same amount of money, they normally don't knock holes in all the walls or steal my window air conditioners that way.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Summons from State of Maryland [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, Just got a summons from State of Maryland vs. me. (I'm the defendant) It's a civil case, but I'm not sure what it's about yet. I'm just trying to figure out if whether this means the State of MD is suing me for something? Or can this be someone else suing me for something and it would still...

Kentucky eviction law motion for eviction [ 8 Answers ]

Hi I really need help I bought a house for 30,000 from a lady we have just a one simple page contract basically states I paid 15000.00 dollars down In April 05' and then make payments of 400.00 a month for 36 months Contract has no sell as is in it because at time of sale we the lady homeowner...

Adoption in Maryland [ 3 Answers ]

? I have a 12 year old daughter and am married. My daughter was born in Oklahoma and I didn't put the fathers name on the birth certificate. We now live in md and my husband wants to adopt her to make her legally his but we were told by a lawyer that even though the fathers name isn't on the...

Maryland adoption laws [ 2 Answers ]

I've been divorced about 2yrs.I have 2 children,boy 16 and girl 12,my ex has turned them against me and they said they don't want to have anything to do with me every since she meet her new boyfriend(shes married to him now) and the court said it was up to them to make that decision.awhile back the...

View more questions Search