Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    autty Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 20, 2008, 09:05 PM
    What are the custody laws for leaving state with my son
    :confused: Im currently living with the father of my 8month old son and he's always had anger issues but recently he has turned physically violent against me. I told him that I wanted to go back to school but the only way I can afford to do that was to move from Minnesota to reno, nv (where my parents live-they have a 5 bedroom house and offered me a room for my son and myself while I attended school) My sons father and I aren't married but he signed off that he was the father at the time of my sons birth.I had asked my boyfriend to get anger counseling and move out to reno with me and he told me that my happiness wasn't worth leaving the state for. What do I need to do to legally leave the state without him coming after me for kidnapping/abduction? Somebody please help me! Im afraid for my sons and my well being if we don't get out of here
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Jan 20, 2008, 09:23 PM
    You are the mom he can't get you for kidnapping. I have heard of rare kidnapping charges being brought against dads but not moms. You told him what you wanted and he isn't taking you serious or he doesn't seem to care.
    If you leave him be careful. Have friends and family there when you tell him and when you leave. If he has anger issues it is best to not be alone with him at all once you tell him.
    If he has a problem with it I think the most he can do is file for joint custody (he could try for full but he would have to prove you were unfit)
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Jan 21, 2008, 12:51 PM
    Have you ever called the police when he has done this to you ? If not you need to find the strength to do so when it happens. You also need to seek out a shelter and find out just what your rights are in the state your living in. You NEED to be safe, you need to know your not alone. Above all else you need to correct what's happening now!!
    Many states have numbers you can call or places you can visit for free that can advise you. Get help.. don't wait.
    Best of luck

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Leaving the state [ 5 Answers ]

A friend of mine needs held knowing his rights his ex wife is leaving the state with his 2 children. They have joint custody she has final say so. But does he have any rights. He lives in Georgia

Leaving the state [ 6 Answers ]

Hi--considering moving to calif(other coast/far away) for a new start and hopefully gainful employment after having been divorced/seperated for 8 years. The kids are 11-13-17+18 and will undoubtly be dissapointed--how is best to break the news and do u think it is something I should even consider?...

Leaving state without permission [ 3 Answers ]

My children are in the primary residential custody of their father and are being physically abusedby him and the stepmom and nobody will do anything if I take my kids and leave state what will happen if the court order states niether parent can remove the minor children from the state of Florida

Laws on leaving Texas with my 10 month old baby [ 3 Answers ]

My husband and I are thinking of getting a divorce. We live in Texas ( I have been there for a year and a half), but I am originally from California. I want to know what the laws are regarding moving to California with my son. If I am allowed to do this or not.

View more questions Search