Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mother35 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 4, 2011, 12:03 AM
    Rape of a 15 yr old
    My daughter who is 15 was recently raped by a guy 18, we have been to the police and they informed us that it would be very hard for charges to be laid because oflack of proof, my daughter is a very small 15 yr old and therefore he did not have to physically beat her up, I am wondering if anyone knows if I can have him charged with statatory rape or not? People like this really need to pay for stealing the innocence away from a child. We live in Ontario. Thanks.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Feb 4, 2011, 12:58 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by mother35 View Post
    My daughter who is 15 was recently raped by a guy 18, we have been to the police and they informed us that it would be very hard for charges to be laid because oflack of proof, my daughter is a very small 15 yr old and therefore he did not have to physically beat her up, I am wondering if anyone knows if i can have him charged with statatory rape or not? People like this really need to pay for stealing the inocence away from a child. We live in Ontario. Thanks.
    This suggests that he cannot be charged with statutory rape:
    "A fourteen- or fifteen-year-old can consent to sexual activity with a partner who is no more than five years older than them. [16]

Although Canada is a federation, the criminal law (including the definition of the age of consent) is in the exclusive jurisdiction of the federal government, so the age of consent is uniform throughout Canada. "
    Ages of consent in North America - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Feb 4, 2011, 04:49 AM

Even if the age difference was not as AK listed, the same level of proof would be required that they had sex as for any rape charge. The only difference is you would not need to prove force.

On the other hand if there IS proof that sexual activity occurred, she can still press charges. He might not be convicted because it will be a he said/she said. It would also mean her going through an ordeal. Without knowing more about the circumstances of the incident, its hard to judge the outcome.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 10, 2011, 08:24 PM

The issue here is amount of evidence, how long did she wait to report the rape ? Did she get a rape kit down as soon as it happened ?

But it is hard to prove some crimes, and the crown in your case or the DA in the US, often will not take crimes to court if they don't think they can win.

You can try to push them to court, by talking to local officials and trying to push the crown into charging them.
    Now with little evidence they may get off.

If the girl needs counseling, you can try to sue for that cost in civil court, at least in US, there is a lower requirement for evidence in some civil matters

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Need someone to ask about a rape [ 10 Answers ]

A girl said she was raped at the age of 11 and the boy was 19 at the time it supposably happened 2-3yrs ago.. but she never said a damn thing to no one and never once acted scared of the guy. In fact she was still hanging out with him going places. She never went to the hospital either. What's...

Rape [ 2 Answers ]

The statute of limitations on rape charge in state of Florida

Rape [ 5 Answers ]

OK a couple of boys in my school were taken for rape actually a gang bang rape but only 3 boys were involved. But the 2 accessories are in there too but the accessories didn't know what was going on they never new. Also the girl is only 12 years old and the boys that raped had sex with her are 19!...

View more questions Search