Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    caine Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jan 31, 2007, 07:53 PM
    16yr old son wants to take my husbands last name
    I have been with my husband since my oldest son was 8 months, he is now turning 17 and is graduating high school next year. He stressed that he does not want to graduate and his diploma not have his fathers last name (my husband).
    He currently has his birth fathers last name whom my son does not know. I was told that his birth father would have to be contacted in order to change my sons last name, I really do not want to involve this man in anything. Can I change or hyphenate his name? I don't know what to do?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 31, 2007, 08:08 PM
    I can not speak for your state, but no to have your husband adopt him, the bio father has to be contacted but a mere name change esp when the child is 17 and wants it.

Also after he is 18 he can also merely do a name change. Talk to the court clerk or a local attorney, should be very easy and low cost.

It does not give your husband any legal rights or obligtions merely changes a name.
    caine Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Feb 1, 2007, 06:09 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by caine
    I have been with my husband since my oldest son was 8 months, he is now turning 17 and is graduating high school next year. He stressed that he does not want to graduate and his diploma not have his fathers last name (my husband).
    He currently has his birth fathers last name whom my son does not know. I was told that his birth father would have to be contacted in order to change my sons last name, I really do not want to involve this man in anything. Can I change or hyphenate his name? I dont know what to do?
    Thanks for your advice that makes me feel better will do.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Feb 2, 2007, 08:12 AM
    Hello caine:

The Padre is right. However, in your state, he might be able to change his name (with your permission) RIGHT NOW.

excon

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Is my husbands best friend my soulmate? [ 10 Answers ]

I believe in soulmates, I'm a spiritual person. I believe that everything happens for a reason. And with this one, I cannot figure it out. Usually I can, I'm good at this kind of stuff... but this one baffles me. Ok, my husband met this guy through work and became good friends with him. THis guy...

10 husbands, still a virgin [ 6 Answers ]

A lawyer married a woman who had previously divorced 10 husbands. On their wedding night, she told her new husband, "Be gentle, I'm still a virgin." "What?" said the puzzled groom. "How can that be if you were married 10 times?" "Well, husband #1 was a Sales Representative: He kept telling me...

Searching for husbands siblings [ 3 Answers ]

My husband's father has two other children. How do we go about finding them? We can't ask his dad. It is a taboo to talk about them.

Husbands [ 1 Answers ]

So I have a real bad prolbem. My husband of 12 years is a drug addict and I have never been one at all. He doesn't want to get help he doeant think that he has a prolbem. He knows that he should not be doing what he does but yet he still does. I tell him all the time that it really hurts me when he...

X gives alcohol to 16yr old during visitation [ 2 Answers ]

I live with boyfriend who is divorced for last 7 years and 2 of his children. Daughter 16 and son 12. 16yr old was home sick from school for 2 days and wanted to go out on Friday night and was denied. Stated she was "going to see mom". That night mom allowed other "friends" of the daughter to come...

View more questions Search