Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Press2Esc Posts: 251, Reputation: 10

Apr 15, 2006, 11:25 AM
    Missing Drivers for Unrecognized Hardware
    What is the best way to find/search for windows drivers for unknown hardware :cool: (aka Other Devices)?

Thanks, in advance...
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Apr 15, 2006, 12:49 PM
    You have to knowwhat the unknown device is before finding the driver for it I'm afraid. Look in Device Manager for any red "X"s or yellow exlamation marks, that will lead to the problem device type. Then you'll have to know the make and model on the hardware device in order to get the proper drivers.

May 8, 2006, 05:22 PM
    Karma, for sure there is a better way... Especially, when the hardware is installed in a laptop. Seems to me the hardware vendor and the device description, model info, etc is written into the device firmware. P2P
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

May 8, 2006, 05:50 PM
    You're right, if it's a laptop your options become more limited. There are some utilities out there that scan the motherboard and report back all hardware found. For example: PC Wizard
    I sometimes use the dxdiag utility that is part of Windows (Start > Run, type in "dxdiag"), it's meant for info on DirectX but you get much more.

Good luck.
    LTheobald Posts: 1,051, Reputation: 127
    Ultra Member

May 9, 2006, 12:55 AM
    I'm sure you've probably tried this but a lot of PC manufacturers keep databases of their PC models and the hardware inside. If your manufacturer has that it could be a case of comparing that list with the Device Manager and see what's missing.

May 22, 2006, 08:06 AM
    Nice... I have never heard of dxdiag. Nice compliment to msinfo32... In addition, I will checkout pcwizard. I wish I could locate an app that reads problem hardware devices firmware to retrieve the product name & details.

Thanks!

P2E

Quote Originally Posted by NeedKarma
    You're right, if it's a laptop your options become more limited. There are some utilities out there that scan the motherboard and report back all hardware found. For example: PC Wizard
    I sometimes use the dxdiag utility that is part of Windows (Start > Run, type in "dxdiag"), it's meant for info on DirectX but you get much more.

Good luck.

May 22, 2006, 08:16 AM
    LT,

I did check the mfg website. Nonetheless, a great idea for the many who many overlook this option! Thanks...

P2E

Quote Originally Posted by LTheobald
    I'm sure you've probably tried this but a lot of PC manufacturers keep databases of their PC models and the hardware inside. If your manufacturer has that it could be a case of comparing that list with the Device Manager and see what's missing.
    Tommyp!972 Posts: 300, Reputation: 36

May 22, 2006, 09:59 PM
    Belarc Advisor - Free Personal PC Audit
    "The Belarc Advisor builds a detailed profile of your installed software and hardware, missing Microsoft hotfixes, anti-virus status, CIS (Center for Internet Security) benchmarks, and displays the results in your Web browser. All of your PC profile information is kept private on your PC and is not sent to any web server."

Gives an inventory of what's inside your computer

Jun 19, 2006, 07:35 PM
    TommyP - thanks... I remember belarc from another past issue. Yet, another great solution.

P2E

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Missing multimedia audio controller drivers [ 3 Answers ]

Hi experts I recently reinstalled windows xp. Under devise manager I have the yellow? Flag on the "multimedia audio controller" under "other devises." I have tried to reinstall the driver by clicking on the yellow item, but that has not worked. I have gone to dell to download drivers...

Need Drivers [ 6 Answers ]

I am putting WIN ME on my computer and I have looked everywhere for the drivers for the Creative Labs CT4740 sound card and the Lite-On XJ-HD166s DVD/CD ROM drive. Does anyone know where I can download these drivers? I have done a Google search, went to manufacturers websites, and even to driver...

Device drivers [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I have a few questions related to device drivers and Input/Output: Q1: What is a "bus header"? (for example there are USB bus headers and PCI bus headers) Q2: Consider the instruction set of a microprocessor - consider the OUT instruction which sends some data over a bus to a specified...

Need Drivers [ 2 Answers ]

Ok I've formated this HD and now I need drivers and IDK where to get them. Preffably ones that don't cost me money (cuz I have none) I looked at several site and most want money, they don't have it of IDK what the heck I'm looking for. So any help would be greatly apreciated =) Need drivers for:...

View more questions Search