Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    aross Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 15, 2006, 09:48 PM
    Slow shower drain - old pipes
    Hi there. We just purchased a house with older pipes. The shower drain on the second floor is incredibly slow: when you remove the plug from the bath it does not move at all. I've read all of the "snaking" suggestions but am concerned I will injure the pipes, having no idea what kind of shape they are in. Do you have any "home remedy" ideas that would not have a possibility of hurting the pipes and might start me off in a good direction?
    Thanks!
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Oct 16, 2006, 07:04 AM
    Most shower, tub and lavatory clogs are caused by a build up of rotting hair matted with grease from the soap.
    Try this. Remove the two screws holding the strainer. (TIP; put the screws in the soap dish before they get lost down the drain.) Shine a light down there and with a bent coathanger fish out any hair that may be hiding down there. Then pour a 1/2 gal. of bleach down into the trap and let it set over night. Next morning flush the mess down with 2 latge pans of boiling water, (this is important). The bleach will desolve the hair and make it slippery and the boiling water will melt the grease and get the mess out of your drain. If that don't help it's time to snake the drain line. Cheers TOM

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Leaking shower drain/pipes? [ 2 Answers ]

Hello. This looks to be a great forum! I'm glad my search pulled it up. I have a 2nd story shower leak. Directly below the shower is the laundry room and has the furnace ducts/furnace directly below. I've already decided I'll have to remove the ducts and open the ceiling to see what is...

Slow Tub/shower drain [ 3 Answers ]

My first attempt so please bear with me. By the time I finish a shower I'm in ankle deep water. Tub drains, but slowly. Can't get the drain out so removed the plate below the faucet and ran the snake through there. Got around all the bends and went the length of the snake -- about 20 ft. ...

2nd story tub/shower drain slow [ 1 Answers ]

House is 35 years old and the shower tub (2nd floor) combination drains very slow.I have took off the drain screen and noticed that about 2 -3 inches below screen the drain has something that turns the water to drain. I cannot not snake from here because snake would not get past this piece. Any...

Extremely Slow Shower Drain [ 5 Answers ]

The drain in my shower is extremely slow. I have tried using common liquid clog removers, but they have not helped one bit. I have also tried to use an Auger that I have, but I can get no further than a couple of inches into the drain. When I look down the drain there is actually water that is...

Slow shower drain [ 1 Answers ]

My shower drain is draining very slow. I cleaned out the trap, I adjusted the drain plug assembly, I even took out the cleanouts in the main drain and ran a snake through it. But the drain is still slow. Could it be the vent, because it's the only thing I haven't checked yet. If it is the vent...

View more questions Search