Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    stylistjennifer Posts: 74, Reputation: 2

Jan 18, 2010, 09:24 AM
    Which would be better(maltipoo or shihpoo) ?
    What puppy would be better to have? (maltipoo or shihpoo)
    Im getting one of those in two weeks.
    What do I need to get ready for, like things to get, tips, ideas?
    Also is a boy or girl usually better?
    Thanks!
    Cat1864 Posts: 8,007, Reputation: 3687
    Marriage Expert

Jan 18, 2010, 09:49 AM
    Where are you getting the animal from? Do you have any previous experience raising a puppy?

Jan 18, 2010, 10:01 AM

Yes, I've had a puggle for 4 years now. But she's with my mom now and I'm in an apartment. But she was hard to potty train and sheds really badly. So I wanted one that doesn't shed as much.
    Im getting it from a flee market, its like a little store.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jan 18, 2010, 10:21 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by stylistjennifer View Post
    Im geting it from a flee market, its like a little store.
    You're getting a puppy from a flea market?? Sounds like you're being conned by a puppy mill. If you really care about dogs, please do not buy a dog from this place. Dogs are bred in terrible conditions, and puppies are born into filth without medical care. All the puppy mill wants is your money, and you will probably end up with a dog with behavior and health problems.

Your best bet for finding out the puppy's history and behavior traits is to get the puppy from a legitimate breeder (and then you will get to meet the puppy's parents) or from a rescue/shelter, both of which will take the dog back if you can't handle caring for it.

Jan 18, 2010, 10:32 AM

Its like a store though, and I have heard from the area of many people getting puppys from the store its called puppy paradise and they love them.
    I will look into a shelter though.
    Will they have a maltipoo or shihpoo?
    Does anyone know if one is better then the other?
    Or things to get ready for a new puppy?
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jan 18, 2010, 10:45 AM
    Its like a store tho, and i have heard from the area of many people geting puppys from the store its called puppy paradise and they love them.
    i will look into a shelter tho.
    will they have a maltipoo or shihpoo?
    does anyone know if one is better then the other?
    or things to get ready for a new puppy?
    Any store that sells puppies is getting them from a puppy mill or a backyard breeder. Reputable breeders do not sell their puppies in a store. Buyers have to travel to their homes or farms to see the situation the puppies were born into and to meet the mother.

Did the store tell you that lots of people are happy with their puppies, or do you know more than four people personally who bought puppies from this place and said the puppies are healthy?

Go to the library and look up puppy and dog care books at 636.7. Visit an area shelter or two to ask questions about training and care. Also ask them about non-shedding puppies that are available. You might be better off with an adult dog that is already trained.

Jan 18, 2010, 11:26 AM

Yea, I have heard from personal friends. The owners have the mother and fathers to the puppys at there home.
    Also, is pets mart a good place to get help?
    Marriage Expert

Jan 18, 2010, 12:07 PM
    yea, i have heard from personal friends. the owners have the mother and fathers to the puppys at there home.
    also, is pets mart a good place to get help?
    This is a warning sign that you are dealing with a puppy mill. Reputable breeders do not have a store front for selling their pups. Not all puppy mills are the low end easily spotted animal abusers. Some actually try to look reputable, however, their bottom line is still making money not trying to produce healthy happy animals and futhering the breed.

May I ask why you are looking at those two types?

Jan 18, 2010, 12:32 PM

I juat wanted a small doggie. And one that would stay little. That I could carry around easily.
    These two are very cute! They also have these two and said they can't let us see them or get them for 2 more weeks.
    Marriage Expert

Jan 18, 2010, 12:52 PM
    I juat wanted a small doggie. and one that would stay little. that i could carry around easily.
    these two are very cute! They aslo have these two and said they can't let us see them or get them for 2 more weeks.
    Have you seen the actual puppies or just parents or just pictures? How old are the puppies?
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Jan 18, 2010, 02:41 PM

I'm sure you are aware that a ShihPoo and a MaltiPoo are nothing more than Mutts.
    There's nothing wrong with mutts at all but they should never, ever be bought from a store or a breeder.
    NO reputable breeder will breed mixed breed dogs, which is why shelters are absolutely packed to the hilt with them.

The person you are intending to buy from is known as a Backyard Breeder, they are one step behind a Puppy Mill.

Puppy mills are basically farms for dogs, there are often 2-3 dogs in a small crate and they are onlt let out to be mated and to give birth.
    B*tches are bred on every single season until they are too weak to even move, that's when they are either euthanised or just left to die.
    The puppies are often very unhealthy and carry a lot of genetic problems.

Backyard breeders don't treat their dogs badly like Puppy Mills do, most of them are just household pets but the puppies can still end up just as unhealthy.

What reputable breeders do is genetically test ALL of their dogs before breeding to ensure a litter of healthy puppies.
    There are many diseases or problems that are hereditary in dogs, meaning the parents can pass the problem on to the pups, a lot of problems don't show up until the dog is older so many BYBs (backyard breeders) unknowlingly breed dogs with problems as they show no symptoms yet and they don't want to spend thousands on genetic testing.
    For small dogs the testing that the dogs should have is hip scores, patella exam, eye testing at the very least.
    Dogs with known problems such as epilepsy, incontinence, monorchodism, etc etc etc should be neutered as soon as the ptoblem arrises and never bred from. Sadly a lot of people don't do this.

If you want to risk your dog having health problems later in life then go for it... buy from the flea market.

But it you want a healthy dog that has had the best possible chance at life then buy from a reputable breeder.

I would mention shelters buy it seems you are hell bent on buying a dog rather than adopting.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Jan 18, 2010, 04:20 PM
    What puppy would be better to have? (maltipoo or shihpoo)
    Im geting one of those in two weeks.
    What do i need to get ready for, like things to get, tips, ideas?
    Also is a boy or girl usually better?
    Thanks!
    There is no such thing as a multipoo or shihpoo breed. Those are mixes, maltese/ poodle and shih tzu/poodle. No reputable breeder breeds mixes, that's your first clue that these people are nothing but backyard or puppymill breeders.

A breeder would never sell to a pet store, nor would they sell at a flea market. These puppies may be adorable (I haven't seen a puppy that isn't) but they come from the worst conditions possible, the parents are probably kept in tiny cages and bred until they die, never having the freedom to run, to even feel grass under their feet. They are used only to make money for the greedy person that owns them. That's why the "breeder" won't let you see the puppies, she doesn't want to show you the conditions they live in.

So, if you're content with buying a puppy from a backyard breeder or puppy mill, thus continuing the abuse of animals, the mistreatment of poor dogs that cannot escape their abusers, then go ahead, God knows we can't stop you, but we can give you the facts.

Here is some information on puppy mills. I warn you, if you have a heart and care about dogs, this will be a real eye opener and parts of this are gruesome and graphic. Watch at your own risk.

No Puppy Mills Canada
    Catsmine Posts: 3,826, Reputation: 739
    Pest Control Expert

Jan 18, 2010, 04:27 PM

My turn to chime in. These poor pups are likely at their cutest right now. You can possibly beat the odds and get a healthy dog, but if you couldn't be bothered to brush your first dog, how are you going to keep the new one healthy?

Paris Hilton at least had the heart to hire a caretaker for her fashion accessories. If you can afford one of those you can afford a purebred animal from a reputable breeder. If not, buy a stuffed animal. They stay cute and you can't hurt them.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Jan 18, 2010, 05:39 PM

Here's another video. It will make you cry.

http://www.nopuppymillscanada.ca/bruno_0002.wmv
    Just Dahlia Posts: 2,155, Reputation: 445
    Ultra Member

Jan 18, 2010, 08:38 PM
    Check your local shelters for non shedding small dogs, you can also check on line in your area for a particular one and they might have one that you can save.
    A lot of people are giving up dogs now, because they can't afford them or maybe they no longer have a home:( You might even be able to get what you want that is already potty trained.:)
    I would go with a boy that is already fixed. (my opinion) girls have more internal parts.

EDIT: tips... depending on what you end up with, just a couple of small toys, leash, collar, water and food bowls and cookies and food.
    Please check your shelters
    Aurora_Bell Posts: 4,193, Reputation: 822
    Dogs Expert

Jan 19, 2010, 07:58 AM

And reputable breeders can sometimes be cheaper then "pet stores". Local pet store selling a Malti poo for $3,000. Local shi tzu breeder selling puppies for $2,500.00 All up to date with needles and vet reccords are supplied, and back ground checks on owners done. Please listen to the advice from these people.
    I have to tell this story... sorry guys...
    My "friend" works at a pet store, she is constantly bragging about how much she knows about animals, and how well taken care of the dogs are, and they come from reputable breeders.
    She even claims that the dogs are getting potty trained. One of the factors that you didn't like about your puggle was that it was "hard to potty train" right?
    Well listen, depending on the age of these dogs, we will say 12 weeks (hopefully) they have probably spent close to their entire lives in a samll box or crate. Look at the living conditions they are in now. Their wholes lives so far have consisted of pooping and peeing where ever because they can, and have no choice. Do you think the people at these pet stores have time or the knowledge to train these dogs? So guess what? You are getting a dog with potty training problems already. Now I ask, do YOU think it is healthy for these dogs to be living in their own pee and poop for some times hours on end? Do you think the ownewrs and staff actually come in on their TIME OFF to take the dogs out side or to clean the crates?. I can tell you they don't at the pet store in my town. So next you get a dog who more then likely will have some sort of health problem from living in it's own mess.
    Not to mention the potentially dangerous problems from the poor genetics. Do you know if the little guys parent had any genetic testing done?
    Check out the shelters and breeders before you decide to buy and support puppy mills.
    Dogs Expert

Jan 19, 2010, 08:06 AM

Here is a site that will help yo prepare for a puppy. If you are going to support a byb, at least you should have some knowledge on what to expect for your LIFETIME addition to your home.
    Good luck.

http://www.canadasguidetodogs.com/newdogowner.htm
    Dogs Expert

Jan 19, 2010, 07:02 PM

I just don't get pet stores. Even my daughter who is 2.5 seems to understand the crulty of them.
    When we walk past she wants to see the puppies and kitties, but she gets so upset that they are in those tiny glass boxes or crammed in small cages with one on top of another.
    I hope the OP takes the advice given on this site.
    Sariss Posts: 1,471, Reputation: 244
    Ultra Member

Jan 19, 2010, 07:07 PM
    I have a Shi Poo and guess what? He was a rescue. I'd never imagine buying a mutt from a breeder.

A side note..
    Toronto Public Health Issues Warning After Puppy Sold At Flea Market Dies From Rabies - CityNews

I was part of that. I was the technician initially examining that puppy, who was bought at the Flea Market. Turns out it had rabies. Myself, and about 20 other people had to go through the post exposure rabies needles.

Not fun.
    Lucky098 Posts: 2,594, Reputation: 543
    Ultra Member

Jan 20, 2010, 08:05 PM

I don't agree with the fact that the dog is being sold at a flea market, nor am I agreeing with the fact that it's a "paper" mutt. However; not everyone can buy the premo $500-$1200 show quality, perfect specimen of a dog.

Just because the puppies are being sold at a flea market doesn't necessarily mean that the people who are selling them are bad people. I have run into a lot of people who are trying to sell $1200 papered America Bullies/Colorado Bulldogs outside of Wal-Mart. The dogs came with health checks, contracts and were up to date with all shots.. Not to mention the pups had superb bloodlines... That particular person just didn't have a better strategy to sell his puppies...

My advise for this person... Don't spend more then $150 for these puppies. Make sure that they are being sold with the required amount of shots for their age... Ask lots of questions about the parents!

I know a lot of people who breed designers ask for a lot of money for them. The result with a designer breed is that they are nothing more than a mixed breed.

Also... with this type of dog... Get it fixed... Please...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Maltipoo (7 weeks) won't eat! [ 3 Answers ]

I just got my 7 week old Matipoo today. She seems very shy and hides her face if you talk to her. She hasn't eaten anything ALL day! I gave her some Pedialite from a syringe and she drank it all and she also had a few sips of water. The guy who sold her to me gave me a bag of food that she had been...

View more questions Search