Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dsabo Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 1, 2004, 04:07 PM
    Barnwood family room
    I recently purchased a home with a family room done completely in barn wood. The room is too dark for my taste. Any suggestions on how to lighten up this room without taking the barnwood completely out?
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Apr 1, 2004, 04:50 PM
    Re: Barnwood family room
    I cringe at the thought of painting it, but other solutions may be a mess. Likely the wood under the surface is much lighter. Sanding, scraping, or wire brushing would remove at least part of the surface lightening things up. Ordinary household bleach might work.

Whatever you try, don't start in a place that shows. Maybe even remove a board if you can, and work on the back of it. If something seems to be going well, and not too much work, then go ahead.

Could you add light to the room, bigger bulbs or new fixtures?

This is one of those questions where I hope somebody else has a better idea. If you give up and paint, there are 2 ways that might work. One is to thin the paint and put a heavy coat on it so you can completely cover the rough surface. The other thing would be to use a short nap roller and lightly roll just the surface, preserving the contrasting color.
    Butterbeans Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 17, 2012, 06:36 AM
    Ah Déjà vu of the 60s and 70s when remods consisted of covering the walls with dark gloomy but cheap and easy wood paneling. It took a while for the remodelers to realize all of that dark wood was depressing.

1. Ask yourself, does this room fit my lifestyle at all? Would I be happier redoing it with an entirely different wall covering? If you answer no, yes then rip it out.
    2. Barring a total makeover whitewashing a wall that faces the windows receiving the most daylight would help and directed lighting on that wall will help to brighten the whole room.
    3. Light colored furnishings and wall hangings.
    4. Recover all but one wall or two.
    5. Although it may present too much contrast light colored floors and ceilings would help.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Room makeover [ 1 Answers ]

I'm re-doing my room from it's childish girly state that it once was and doing it goth (its a choice ;)) and I have a lot of girly looking stuff still- jewlery boxes, flower/ funky stuff that I can't get rid of (I'm a pack rat type of gal). What should I do? Part with it all or what? I am doing my...

Blended family means family to me, should it not to my husband as well? [ 6 Answers ]

HI, I just really need to know if I am way off base here. Last night my husband told me that"you need to understand how it is going to be between my daughter and myself." " when it comes to special events, even if they conflict with your boys(his stepsons) and in the future if we have children of...

Wire size for Outlets in basement family room [ 6 Answers ]

I am finally getting around to doing our family room in the basement. I was wondering what size wire to pull for the outlets should I use 12/2 with ground or 14/2 with ground. Also putting in recess lights should I use 12/2 with ground for them or 14/2 with ground. Thanks T

4 Kids in 1 Room [ 5 Answers ]

My wife and I have a two bedroom house and we have 4 kids. The kids share one room and we have the other room. Is having 4 kids in one room against the law? We are in CA. Or, if it is not against the law, would it be looked down on if we have to go through a custody battle with one of our ex's?...

I want a chat room [ 7 Answers ]

We need some sort of chatroom on this site I think it would be cool

View more questions Search