Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    goodneighborswanted Posts: 10, Reputation: 3

Oct 4, 2006, 09:54 AM
    What are the signs of a mental break down?
    Having horrible thoughts, love my family dearly but life is not going well. Please see my other post to get some other insight. I do not want to leave but can see no option as I know my feelings, actions, etc. are tearing my family apart. I have almost 25 yrs of marriage that I do not want to give up and best kid in the world but I am not heathly, emothionally or mentally to be of any use for them. I am such a strong person, can do anything but at wits end over many things. Lawsuit with builder that is going to trial soon so the stress has actually just started after almost 2 years, neighbors that are driving me insane, marriage is OK but the sparks aren't there and motherhood isn't what I want it to be because of all the other stuff going on and childhood is childhood which is a challenge presently but mainly because of all of the above. HELP! Live in a small community so not wanting to be public or even discuss with a professional as $ is a huge issue in the marriage due to suit (we don't have $ to pay the lawyer let alone go to trial) so I'm hitting the Net. If there are other sites, please, anything. I'm totally up to anything you can offer, spare, etc. Thank you for reading. TIA:confused: :(
    marshbog7 Posts: 31, Reputation: -5

Oct 17, 2006, 07:49 AM
    Okay mental breakdowns can be different for anyone.
    Mine thought processes went haywire they sounded a little like this

WHY IS SHE ALWAYS ANGRY AT ME
    I HATE HER
    GOD She's MANIPULATED ME
    HER FAMILY IS TRYING TO RUIN MY LIFE
    HER FAMILY IS HAVING SECRET CONVOS WITH MINE
    MAYBE IF I KILL HER

*BREAKDOWN*

I had a friend that kind of drove me mad.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Oct 17, 2006, 08:48 AM
    Neighbor,

I have been watching your threads and actually have been kind of "seeing" this coming from what you have been writing.

It is my opinion, just my opinion okay, that you may be exeriencing Situational Depression, others may call it GAD or general anxiety disorder. Be that as it may, since $ is tight right now, you can go to your regular GP and explain the situation. They may be able to put you on some antidepressants to help you through the rough patch in your life right now.

While my experience was not similar to yours, my feelings were. I went back to college at 38, had a young daughter 9, and a 1 year old son. School was full time, had to help hubby build and maintain a new thriving business. All of this an re-learning how to study and prioritize put a toll on me. The doc put me on a med, which I took for a year. It helped me focus and remain calm even in the darkest of storms. I have been off for 2 years now and everything remains calm. It just took a little shove (med) to help me focus and regroup.

I hope this helps in some way.
    LUNAGODDESS Posts: 467, Reputation: 40

Oct 17, 2006, 09:47 AM
    Schizophrenia is one of at least 15 classification of mental illness. The American Psychiatric Association, Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders has several editions dating from 1952 to now. Psychiatrists are often in disagreement in the appropriate diagnostic labeling and method of treatment... disorders change and so do the method of treatment. So here are a few medical models

Schizophrenia:

"... is a serious brain disorder which affects how a person thinks, feels and acts. It is often a life-long disease that makes it difficult for a person to tell the difference between real and imagined experiences, to think logically, to express normal emotional responses or to behave appropriately in social situations.
    Schizophrenia is increasingly becoming a very treatable illness, and many newer medications that offer better control or prevention of a wide and increasing range of symptoms are now available. New methods of detecting and treating the illness earlier are also on the horizon.
    Symptoms vary from person to person. They may develop slowly over months or years or appear very suddenly.
    Initial symptoms, which usually begin to appear in late adolescence or early adulthood, gradually may include mild feelings of tension, an inability to sleep or concentrate, or a loss of interest in school, work and friends.
    As the disorder intensifies, the individual may experience more disabling and bizarre symptoms such as delusions, hallucinations or disordered speech and thoughts. The illness can also rob people of normal functions, such as the ability to feel motivated, experience or express emotion or solve problems.
    Schizophrenia may appear in cycles known as relapse or remission. During times of relapse, the person suffering from schizophrenia may experience one or all of the following symptoms:
    • Delusions
    • Hallucinations
    • Disordered thinking
    During periods of remission, psychotic symptoms may lessen but symptoms such as social withdrawal, inappropriate or blunted emotions and extreme apathy, may persist.
    In general, there are four basic types of schizophrenia. They are:
    • Paranoid schizophrenia: A person feels extremely suspicious, persecuted, grandiose or experiences a combination of these emotions.
    • Disorganized schizophrenia: A person is often incoherent but may not have delusions.
    • Catatonic schizophrenia: A person is withdrawn, mute, negative and often assumes very unusual postures.
    • Residual schizophrenia: A person is no longer delusional or hallucinating, but has no motivation or interest in life. These symptoms can be most devastating..."

Factitious disorders which is intentionally produced symptoms of physical; or psychological illness...

Dissociative disorders is repressed recall, multiple personality...

Somatoform disorders is an hypochondria

Listing the many symptoms of mental illness is a long journey…so here are some sites that will gave you a head start in collecting the necessary information:
    American Psychotic Publishing Inc.
    www.aai.org
    www.mhasp.org/help/symptoms.html
    Expert

Oct 17, 2006, 10:19 AM
    Luna, I am curious why you posted Schizophrenia as this person shows NO sign of schizophrenic disorder whatsoever.

We are here to help people, not freak them out!!
    marshbog7 Posts: 31, Reputation: -5

Oct 18, 2006, 07:13 AM
    I agree with J_9, what on earth was that? A question about a mental breakdown has nothing to do with schizophrenia, so before you go copying and pasting content of the web make sure you read the questions. Ha.
    LUNAGODDESS Posts: 467, Reputation: 40

Oct 18, 2006, 07:55 AM
    J-9 in my response I stated four disorders... it is just Schizophrenia was the most documented for I have experience with this disease…I had some cousins and a brother who after their tour of duty came back from Vietnam were suffering from this type of illness…

The other mental illness and or disorders were:
    • Factitious disorders which are intentionally produced symptoms of physical; or psychological illness... factitious meaning unreal or not natural but artificial or invented; contrived and insincere rather than genuine

Dissocialize disorders is repressed recall, multiple personality...

Somatoform disorders are a hypochondrium…which is an abnormal, usually long-term preoccupation with health and bodily sensations and accompanied by a deluded conviction of having serious disease with objective evidence…

To scare anyone into getting help …I do not see that as a problem…I would rather scare the person then to see them laying dead some where…or continuing to be in an hopeless state …thinking that no one cares…let the human race start to give a d***and move off their seats and make a difference…

There are free clinics in some communities... go take advantage of the situation... this is just an example of why it is so difficult in determining what mental illness is and then what they will have to do about it...
    talaniman Posts: 54,325, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Oct 18, 2006, 10:17 AM
    GoodNeighbor- Only a doctor can diagnose and recommend a treatment as there are a lot of mental disorders and remedies. Even in a small town the doctor is bound to secrecy. Sometimes when we are in the middle of a crisis or problem we fail to see that we have a problem. When I went off my meds years ago I was the only one who could not see the changes I go through when I don't do as the doctor tells me. Please see a doctor as he is the only one who can deal with our problems. Good luck
    blueshadow_393 Posts: 35, Reputation: 1

Oct 19, 2006, 07:58 AM
    I don't think you have a mental disorder, I think like all people in this world at some time, you are VERY stressed. What works for me when Im stressed is to fall back on something Im good at, like Photography. Make time in your day to go out and do this. Even if its for five minutes or less, it will help you. But don't do it when other things need to be done, do it if you find time. Also meditating is very helpful. The kind I use is monogomas meditation. What you do is, when you find a very monogomas task such as brushing your hair, don't think of other things and your problems, think only about the brush running through your hair and taking all the tangles away, it gets to be very soothing and relaxing.
    And remember that this is only a temporary problem, it will get better I promise, so don't do anything to rash.
    valinors_sorrow Posts: 2,927, Reputation: 653
    I regard all beings mostly by their consciousness and little else

Oct 21, 2006, 07:43 AM
    Like Blueshadow, it sounds to me like you are overwhelmed and who wouldn't be? Sometimes the only way to get through it is to trudge whilst continuing to chant: this too shall pass, this too shall pass (and it will too).

It wouldn't hurt to push off your plate as much as possible for a while. You know... prioritize?

Limit where you "spend your enegy" and routinely take some "recharge time" for yourself - where you let down ALL the burden for a bit to pick it up later, when you are in better shape. In addition to what Blueshadow mentioned, one of my favorite tricks is a long bubble bath where I banish all thoughts of anything upsetting. I have been known to take two a day sometimes. It helps me to keep it simple and I return with a better focus too.
    Researcher Posts: 1, Reputation: 2

Jan 2, 2008, 10:08 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by goodneighborswanted
    Having horrible thoughts, love my family dearly but life is not going well. Please see my other post to get some other insight. I do not want to leave but can see no option as I know my feelings, actions, etc. are tearing my family apart. I have almost 25 yrs of marriage that I do not want to give up and best kid in the world but I am not heathly, emothionally or mentally to be of any use for them. I am such a strong person, can do anything but at wits end over many things. Lawsuit with builder that is going to trial soon so the stress has actually just started after almost 2 years, neighbors that are driving me insane, marriage is OK but the sparks aren't there and motherhood isn't what I want it to be because of all the other stuff going on and childhood is childhood which is a challenge presently but mainly because of all of the above. HELP! Live in a small community so not wanting to be public or even discuss with a professional as $ is a huge issue in the marriage due to suit (we don't have $ to pay the lawyer let alone go to trial) so I'm hitting the Net. If there are other sites, please, anything. I'm totally up to anything you can offer, spare, etc. Thank you for reading. TIA:confused: :(
    This is an old question but I want to add a short reply.

The first mistake the answers to this question make is to assume that the "disorders" of the DSM actually exist. They are names given to observed and grouped behaviors.

The American Psychiatric Association freely admits they do not know what causes any of them except the belief that recalled trauma causes PTSD.

That means they don't know where one stops and another begins.

If you use a computer at home, in a dorm room, or in a small business office where Cubicle Level Protection is not used suspect that panic attacks, depression, paranoia, fear and thoughts of suicide are caused by Subliminal Distraction exposure.

My site is a five year investigation of Subliminal Distraction. I began after my wife had a psychotic break in the payroll office of the University of Alabama thirty days after her workspace was changed eliminating Cubicle Level Protection. I had known of this phenomenon since I was an engineering student forty years ago.

I had never seen a case of what is still believed to be a harmless temporary episode of confusion and psychotic-like behavior.

The Virginia Tech shooter had created the "special circumstances" for Subliminal Distraction exposure. When he had the "temporary harmless episode" he acted out the delusions and killed 32 people. VTech acknowledged my communication to the President but failed to investigate this problem.

The Atlanta day trader killer and the Redlake school shooter have similar stories.

ICU Psychosis, Qi Gong psychotic reaction, mental problems associated with the Awakening of Kundalini, and mental episodes caused by participation in Landmark Education's seminar, The Forum, all dissipate if you stop the activity. They all create Subliminal Distraction exposure.

Use the Panic Attacks page at VisionAndPsychosis.Net as your guide in locating and eliminating exposure. If you have had symptoms for a long time there will not be an immediate result. The activities listed above indicate recent exposure will resolve in about one week. (Each case is different.)
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Jan 2, 2008, 08:46 PM
    You are just going through too much and need some emotional support
    Some things that can help the stress are vitamin B complex, sublingual B12,
    A calming type tea such as chamomile.
    Soak in a warm tub with lavender oil
    Expert

Jan 3, 2008, 05:48 AM
    Ummm, this question is over a year old. It will now be closed.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Are these signs of cheating? [ 36 Answers ]

1. I was the phone to my boyfriend. I called on his work mobile, 2 secs into the conversation his personal mob rings, he tells me to hold on, when he answered he cut me off. 2. I rang back and when I asked who called him he said... mmmm mmmmm, mc donalds called (coz he fixes their machines).. I...

Pregnancy Signs [ 1 Answers ]

Hi Hope you will be fine, m 26 year old and before 9 months ago I got married form the first day of my marriage m quite conscious about Pregnancy... me and my husbend try again and again but I don't got positive result. Now I consult with my doctor and she advise me to take fertility drugs. Now...

Signs of Miscarriage? [ 2 Answers ]

I had a miscarriage on October 3rd, 2005... Since February, my fiancé and I have been trying again. Every month since then we have had no results in getting pregnant. This week I was supposed to get my period (3 days late) however, have had some cramping and bleeding, not to the extent of my...

Who signs this song? [ 1 Answers ]

I'm trying my hardest to find a newer song that they call "the Ba ba" song, Unfortunately I don't know many of the words. Part of it goes, "And we're, ba, ba, ba" I know it's vague, but it's driving me nuts. They play it a lot at hockey games.

View more questions Search