Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lifealone2008 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 21, 2008, 02:54 AM
    Does a laptop require a battery connected at all times?
    My laptop battery is recharging a lot of the time, obviously it needs to be replaced. I bought the lap new 4 years ago. I never use the laptop unplugged, can I just take the battery out and store it indefinitely till I decide to buy a new one ?
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

May 21, 2008, 03:51 AM
    Yes :)
    You may also find that the laptop runs a bit cooler without having to try to charge a bad battery.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 21, 2008, 05:40 AM
    Rick I will ask a follow up to this, while they can, is it better to take the battery out when using it direct, does it save on the life of the battery
    Emma151 Posts: 5, Reputation: 3

May 21, 2008, 05:53 AM
    Yes if you keep the charger plug in it will still work the battery is just for storing the energy not making it

:)
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

May 21, 2008, 06:05 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck
    Rick I will ask a follow up to this, while they can, is it better to take the battery out when using it direct, does it save on the life of the battery
    I have heard that the best thing to do - to keep the battery lasting as long as it should - is to run it once a month or so down to nearly dead, then take it back to full charge.

How true that is I am not certain. I also run mine on ac power nearly all the time... and keep my battery out of it (unless I'm "running it down") so it's not constantly being charged.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

May 21, 2008, 06:18 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by lifealone2008
    My laptop battery is recharging a lot of the time, obviously it needs to be replaced. I bought the lap new 4 years ago. I never use the laptop unplugged, can I just take the battery out and store it indefinitely till I decide to buy a new one ?
    First, may I call your attention to the guidelines for using the comments feature found here:

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/feedba...ure-24951.html

You just rated a post of mine that was over a year old as inaccurate when the advice was indeed accurate. You also gave kudos to a post in the same thread (also of the same vintage) that advocated manually replacing a laptop screen. I don't know of anyone who would advise D-I-Y replacement of a laptop screen. First, because screens are specifically manufactured for a specific model or model line. Manufacturers are unlikely to sell spare screen to individuals, only to repair people. Second, I would only trust a knowledgeable tech to replace a laptop screen.

Before you criticize or compliment people's advice, it would help if you knew what you were talking about.

As to your question here. The answer is yes. A laptop will operate fine without the battery in place. In fact, many stores take the batteries out of display models to prevent theft. Its also true, that while the battery is installed, even on AC power, there is still some charging and drain on the battery. And this does tend to shorten its life. But That shortening is, in my opinion, not worth the inconvenience of removing and installing the battery unless you rarely use it on battery.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Laptop battery [ 7 Answers ]

Have a new laptop. Can anyone tell me the proper way to use the battery wisely. Should it be removed while not in use? Run completely down before recharging etc.

Bad laptop battery? [ 3 Answers ]

Just bought a used Dell laptop, model CPXJ650GT. The battery will not power it, but the AC adapter will power the laptop from house current. When I push the battery test button, three lights glow indicating 60 percent battery power. However, the amber battery light ,on the keyboard, flashes...

My Laptop says it's connected but cannot get onto the net [ 5 Answers ]

Hi Everyone, I've just moved from UK to Hong Kong and am having problems with connecting my laptop up to the existing internet connection at my friend's house. I've plugged the wire in and my laptop will say that I am connected to a local network... but when I try to use the internet nothing...

Laptop battery [ 2 Answers ]

I almost always plug my laptop in for power. How can I extend the life of the battery ? Can I remove it when I plug it into the wall?

Laptop connected to an external monitor [ 1 Answers ]

I ruined the screen of my laptop a few weeks ago and have been surving off a cheap old dell monitor that I simply connected to my laptop. Today, I disconnected the two to move my laptop and when I reconnected them, the external monitor's screen no longer displayed the image from the laptop. I...

View more questions Search