Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sepasean Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 13, 2008, 02:00 PM
    Employer withheld wrong state taxes
    I have worked for a company in NYC for the past 12 years while living in Pennsylvania.

In January 2007, my company switched me finally to our new office in Pennsylvania. Problem is that they never changed my tax withholdings from NY to PA. The issue fell between the cracks, and I never noticed on my pay stub. It only came to light when I received my W2 Form for 2007 from my employer.

Not sure what to do... do I request (and have time) for my employer to correct and issue me a new 2007 W2 Form? If this is not possible, who/what/where do I start with to get this solved so I do not pay double taxes and possibly get penalized as well?

Regards, SepaSean
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Mar 13, 2008, 02:30 PM
    First, make sure your HR department has corrected the problem so this doesn't continue.

The chances of your employer giving you a W-2 showing PA as the state are between slim and none. Remember, they have actually been paying money to NY on your behalf, not PA, so they can't just simply reprint the W-2.

You'll have to fill out a NY non-resident tax form, and you should get a huge refund, since the only NY source income is whatever you earned in NY in January. So you won't be double taxed. Then do your PA taxes. You'll owe them a lot, since there has been no withholding. You may also owe them a penalty for underpayment, but you can probably get around that since in 2006 you had a very low PA tax bill.

The bad news for you is the timing - you will have to pay PA by April 15, but you probably won't get a refund from NY by then, so you'll have to come up with the cash.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

FICA taxes not withheld by my employer [ 14 Answers ]

Hi all, I came to US on F-1 status in Aug 1998. I joined my current company on OPT in May 2000. I got my H1B status in July 2001. Till date (Dec 2006), my employer has not withheld the FICA taxes. I was not very well-informed on this and realised it is better to fix the situation. My questions are...

Employer deducted taxes for wrong state [ 1 Answers ]

I live in Illinois and started a job where I traveled to Wisconsin for 3 weeks staying in hotel while there. I noticed on first paycheck that they were deducting for Wisconsin state tax and not Illinois, I contacted them and they changed it. Now I received two w-2"s in the mail one for the...

Taxes withheld for NYC by employer- I'm a NJ resident [ 1 Answers ]

My employer withheld NY city taxes, but I am a non-resident (I live in NJ and have never lived in NYC). How do I claim a refund or credit for these taxes on my IT-203?:confused:

Employer in VA, I Live in NH which State Tax should be Withheld and filed for? [ 1 Answers ]

I work for and receive salary from, a company based in VA. I work in Boston, MA at the location of a Client of my employer. I live in NH and commute to MA. Which State Tax my employer should withheld and Where should I file my Tax Returns? Is it VA because the source of Salary is from VA based...

H1B, employer not paying withheld income taxes [ 3 Answers ]

I know that my employer isn't paying the income taxes that he withholds from my salary. Does that affect my situation regarding my H1B? I mean in the application it says that I should be paid a certain salary to have this Visa and if the taxes that are withheld are not paid it will look like I have...

View more questions Search