Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    stillwater Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 22, 2009, 03:24 PM
    1099 form on H4
    Hi ,

I have a question regarding my taxes. I am on H4 visa(which is a dependent visa of H1B).

I recently did some online work on a website and they did pay me around $1000. Now they sent me a 1099 form. Do I have to file 1099, will there be any kind of problem? I don't have SSN. Help me what should I do...

Thanks
    LS
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Jan 23, 2009, 12:22 AM

Yes, you must file tax return. If you have ITIN, you will use it instead of SSN.
    You are self employed. You will report your income and expenses on schedule C or C-EZ (Form 1040). This income is subject to SE tax at 15.3%. Read: http://taxipay.blogspot.com/2008/04/...oyed-sole.html
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Jan 23, 2009, 09:51 AM
    Also, on the legal side of the issue, you have violated the provisions of your visa.

It is not a serious violation In my opinion, but you should avoid repeating the violation, or you will receive a nasty note from the U.S. Customs and Immigration Service reminding you that, as a H-4 visa holder, you are NOT authorized to work while in the U.S.

Continued violations could result in your visa being revoked.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

1099 Form for GA [ 1 Answers ]

As an FL employer, Is it necessary to send a copy of the 1099 forms that were issued to subcontractors to the State of GA. If so, what address do I send the copies to?

Form 1099 without tax id [ 5 Answers ]

Hello, I sent out most of my 1099 already but I have one vendor who doesn't want to give me his SSN#. He received commission from my company in 2007 that was over $600. I sent him numerous e-mails and an official W9 but still haven't gotten his SSN#. He faild to give me his contact phone number...

Form 1099 [ 1 Answers ]

I received the 1099 Tax Form. The total amountof money that is specified under the Total Interest Paid or credited box is of 10.33 $. Do I have to pay this amount of money, or the IRS has to pay? It is mentioned here that "the amount of interest paid or credited to you in the calendar year shown...

1099 Form [ 3 Answers ]

I have been working as a manager since January of 2007 in a trailer park. Getong paid 900 monthly. My rent of 400 is taken out on the 1st and on the 15 I get 500 check which reads as a bill. I was told yesturday that I would be getting a 1099 form at the end of the year. Does this mean I will HAVE...

Form 1099 received, but do I report on Form 1040 or just Form 2106? [ 1 Answers ]

Greetings. I'm hoping I can get some help on what to do with a 1099-MISC form I received from my employer that were for business expense reimbursements. I have read through some questions and answers already and based on them I'm going to file this as a Form 2106. The question is should I...

View more questions Search