Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    madmoose Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jun 25, 2008, 08:53 AM
    Flash drive reading as cd
    My buddy came over with this flash drive he found in the trash can at work. When I go to my computer it reads it as a cd not a flash drive. I get one read only file that can't be deleted, it also says I can't save anything to it because of write protection. Does anyone know a way around this?
    seahwk83 Posts: 3,276, Reputation: 212
    Ultra Member

Jun 25, 2008, 07:16 PM
    may involve using your registry, th8is works sometimes but not all the time

Registry
    Warning If you use Registry Editor incorrectly, you may cause serious problems that may require you to reinstall your operating system. If uncomfortable with using Registry Editor, see if you can find someone who is comfortable and that you can Trust. Use Registry Editor at your own risk.

This is for XP
    1) Click Start->Run.

2)Type regedit and hit enter.

4)Click on the plus sign next to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE

5)Click on the plus sign next to SYSTEM

6)Click on the plus sign next to CurrentControlSet

7)Click on the plus sign next to Control

8)Click on the plus sign next to StorageDevicePolicies

9)Write click on WriteProtect and click modify.

10)If the value data is 1 change it 0 and click OK.

11)Repeat steps 7 to 10 for ControlSet001 and ControlSet002 .

12)Close Registry editor and restart the computer.

-------------------------------------------------------------
    If you don't find it in the registry, the best way is to create it yourself. Below is the procedure.

Start the Registry Editor

Go to the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ SYSTEM \ CurrentControlSet \ Control key

If there is no key called StorageDevicePolicies, create it
    You do this by right-clicking the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ SYSTEM \ CurrentControlSet \ Control key, and selecting New > Key from the menu.

Select the StorageDevicePolicies key

From the menu select Edit > New > DWORD Value

Name the new value WriteProtect

Right-click the WriteProtect value and choose Modify

In the Value Data: box enter 1

Exit the registry editor, and restart your computer

To reverse, just delete the new WriteProtect value (or set the value to 0) and restart the computer.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Flash drive [ 3 Answers ]

Hi there, I cannot install flash drive (USB) in Windows'98, is simply cannot detect it every time I connect a flash to my PC. Can suggest how to use a flash with Windows'98? Thank you all in advance.

My CD drive is not reading some Cds.. [ 3 Answers ]

Hi I'm a new guest to this forum.. For past two days I found that my cd-drive is not recognising some of the cds, which I wrote in the same system and which was read sometime before by the same drive... I don't know how to solve the problem... Pls help.. Mine is Dell-laptop with Sony dvd+RW, and...

CD Drive Isn't Reading Certain CDs? [ 1 Answers ]

My CD drive isn't reading the disk I use for the game I play ( I know it sounds stupid ). The computer is a Compaq Presario. The drive doesn't sound like it's spinning or running at all, the light on the drive goes on for a couple of seconds then turns off. The drive reads every other disk though...

Problems using flash drive [ 1 Answers ]

I bought a flash drive but when I plug it into my computer it askes me to install a driver. The flash drice didn't come with a cd. Where can I find a driver for Cruzer flash drive?

Backup to USB Flash drive [ 12 Answers ]

I want to copy some programs to a USB flash drive however whenever I try all I get is the short cut, which is going to be useless if reinstall my windows XP. I could do with some advice on how to overcome this. Any help gtatefully received.

View more questions Search