Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    justcurious82 Posts: 37, Reputation: 3

Sep 10, 2009, 06:34 PM
    Who agrees with me?
    My boyfriend and I have been together for a year and a half now, and he still wants to party! I am sorry, but I just don't think it is right for my boyfriend to go to the bar 2 or 3 nights a week till 2 or 4 am without me. I feel disrespected and I also feel alone. Does anyone agree with me, or am I being silly?

Thanks
    talaniman Posts: 54,325, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Sep 10, 2009, 06:44 PM
    How old are you, and do you live together? How long have you lived together if you do? Kids? Work? School? Details, more info please.

Sep 10, 2009, 06:47 PM

I am 27, and he is 28. We have lived together for about a year. We do not have kids, I am currently unemployed so money is very tight, and he is a waiter.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Sep 10, 2009, 06:49 PM

Are bars his escape from anything? Life? You? His own misery? Is he a social drinker?
    none12345 Posts: 1,439, Reputation: 234
    Ultra Member

Sep 10, 2009, 06:49 PM

I agree with you. I would not want my girlfriend (when I have one) to go to bars without me and stay there all morning. Yes it is disrespectful. Have you informed him about your feelings? If he is a half decent man he will take your feelings into consideration.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Sep 10, 2009, 06:53 PM

Also, if money is tight, tossing back drinks several times a week seems a wee bit wasteful.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Sep 10, 2009, 07:06 PM

Part of the trouble, if you both, or he went to bars before you were a couple, you are now wanting to change him. Basically if you don't want a person who is going to the bars you don't date a person going to bars to start with.

But it appears you are settling down, he is not,
    zippit Posts: 693, Reputation: 117
    -

Sep 10, 2009, 07:14 PM

From personal experience it takes awhile to adjust to living as a couple,that is why it is so important to do the pre-marital arrangement either with a clergy or a counselor or someone and then have the ceremony because as a single guy who is used to leading the single life it is very
    Hard to define the point when you say its time to settle down,so that is where you need to start you need to define where your relationship IS,where the money situation IS,and where you want to be.
    I was a party animal and I came around so if your relationship is right he will too

Sep 10, 2009, 07:17 PM

I have told him that this hurts me, numerous times. Yes he did go to bars when I met him, but I just figured he was doing it cause he was single. Normal people settle down. I just want someone that wants to come home to me. I feel like our home and me should be his escape.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Sep 10, 2009, 07:22 PM

What do you two of you do when he does stay home?
    -

Sep 10, 2009, 07:23 PM

I know you feel that way but you have to understand OLD habits are hard to break.
    He needs to understand that he is NEEDED and wanted at home and that this time at the bar is hurting the relationship in order for him to understand that he needs to know where the relationship IS?
    He might say"Im not giving my night life up for no girlfriend"
    So where are you at? You need to make him feel like he has priorities and they are with you
    And get ready for the "why whats so important?" nagging isn't going to get it.

Sep 10, 2009, 07:24 PM
    We cook out on the grill. Or we play card games, or watch movies. We have a really good time together, but it is those nights where he says I don't care what you want, that are tearing us apart.

Sep 10, 2009, 07:31 PM
    I don't try to nag. Some nights I don't say anything about him going out, and strolling in drunk at 3 am. I also try to go out with him, but I just want to sit at home some too. But I feel like this is just not right. I feel like I deserve to be treated better. I am a DAMN good girlfriend. I cook, clean, and AM good to him. I just don't understand why I am not enough for him to come home to?
    CFZD Posts: 385, Reputation: 49

Sep 10, 2009, 07:31 PM

First of all, personal space is very important, if he goes without you then it is clear he doesn't want to see you during that time. Depend on what he does in the bar, if he goes there to get drunk then look for girls that's a BIG red flag. If he goes there to have a social moment with his own circle of friends without getting drunk, it's not as bad as you believe. Personal space is needed in ANY type of relationship ( including friendship).
    -

Sep 10, 2009, 07:33 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by justcurious82 View Post
    I have told him that this hurts me, numerous times. Yes he did go to bars when I met him, but I just figured he was doing it cause he was single. Normal people settle down. I just want somone that wants to come home to me. I feel like our home and me should be his escape.
    Really I'm telling you its just a old habit.
    If I'm wrong tell me but here is how it goes
    He gets off work calls you tells you he will be home after a drink
    Two hours later he/or you calls "where you at?" ohh so and so showed up
    I'm about to leave 2 hrs later he still isn't home

Is that even close?

Sep 10, 2009, 07:33 PM
    He gets terribly drunk and then drives home. We get along very well other than this, so I don't know why he would be trying to get away from me?
    itried Posts: 249, Reputation: 108

Sep 10, 2009, 07:37 PM

Here's what I think the problem is: You don't want him to have a life outside of you. Plus, I think you feel that whatever makes you happy should also make him happy. If this is the person he was when you first met him then don't try to change him because he will just wind up resenting and then dumping you. In a relationship you're supposed to share interests; what you shouldn't be doing is trying to assimilate yours into his life (while he gives up his).

Also, are you with him because you love/like him or because you don't want to be alone so you just got together with any man?

The drinking and driving thing is just stupid on his part, though.
    -

Sep 10, 2009, 07:37 PM
    I don't try to nag. Some nights I don't say anything about him going out, and strolling in drunk at 3 am. I also try to go out with him, but I just want to sit at home some too. But I feel like this is just not right. I feel like I deserve to be treated better. I am a DAMN good girlfriend. I cook, clean, and AM good to him. I just don't understand why I am not enough for him to come home to?
    He needs to know where the boundaries are for the relationship

Sep 10, 2009, 07:39 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by zippit View Post
    really im telling you its just a old habit.
    if im wrong tell me but here is how it goes
    he gets off work calls you tells you he will be home after a drink
    two hours later he/or you calls "where you at?" ohh so and so showed up
    im about to leave 2 hrs later he still isnt home

is that even close?
    Yes, you are very right! Or it seems like every other night is someone else's birthday.
    -

Sep 10, 2009, 07:39 PM
    He gets terribly drunk and then drives home. We get along very well other than this, so I don't know why he would be trying to get away from me?
    Your going to get all the advise you want this shows its just a old habit and it will take a lot to break it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Is Order of Protection Voided when she agrees to contact [ 18 Answers ]

Hi, I had an order of protection placed upon me over 1 year ago. It stated no contact with my wife, and supervised visitation only on Tuesdays and Saturday. Well, that lasted about 1 and a half months, then we began going places together, I was invited into the house (hundreds of times in the...

My dad agrees with there being a ghost [ 4 Answers ]

Me and my dad were talking and all of a suden it sounded something huge fell to the floor and I yelled at my sister what happened she said nothing feel it left me very puzzeled and I asked my dad if he heard it and he said he did and heard the same thing happen when he was all alone and the dog was...

Even CNN agrees with the NC [ 7 Answers ]

Five sure ways NOT to get over someone - CNN.com

Can you remove a biological father from the birth certificate. If he agrees [ 9 Answers ]

I have a one year old daughter. And her father has never helped support her. And now that the State is forcing him to, he's asked me if there was anyway to have his name taken off the birth certificate so that he has no legal obligations to her! I agree with him and think it would be for the best,...

WHo agrees that. [ 5 Answers ]

(and yes this will sound weird) humans are the cause of all the earths "newly" found problems? Well I do. I mean like in the early man and native american times humans weren't so bad. But now with our cars we're helping global warming. And the ozane layer is depleted. And animals are in serious...

View more questions Search