Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    slhackman Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 26, 2010, 07:12 AM
    5-month-old cocker spaniel puppy still pees and poops in house
    We have a 5 month old cocker spaniel puppy who knows to pee and poop outside and will even do both on command. However, he still will go in the house if he needs to; even if we've recently taken him outside. He will pee right in front of us, and if he has to poop, he'll go behind a couch or in another room and go. He has a crate and can go all night without having to go out. He is not neutered. We take him out after napping, playing hard and about 30 minutes after eating. He pees as soon as he hit the yard, and if I tell him to poop, he'll usually do his business, even if it's just a little bit. Am I being too ambitious to think he'll be trained at 5 months. Are cocker spaniels hard to train. We bought him at a pet store. Thanks for any suggestions.
    slhackman Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 26, 2010, 07:21 AM
    5 month old cocker spaniel hyperventalating
    Our 5-month-old cocker spaniel puppy will sometimes act like he is hyperventalating, gasping for air to the point his whole body convulses. It last maybe 10-15 seconds. He had kennel cough when we bought him from a pet store at 10 weeks, and have had him to the vet 4 times and he's been given 4 different antibiotics to try to cure it. Now the vet thinks he may have something wrong with his esophagus (somekind of a flap in their throat that gets stuck) and wants to run an X-ray. She said some dogs have this and sometimes they outgrow it as they get larger. Sometimes he will just gag like he has to clear his throat, especially in the morning when he wakes up. Has anyone had a similar thing with their dog? If so, was anything done to cure it or did they outgrow it.

Thanks
    Aurora_Bell Posts: 4,193, Reputation: 822
    Dogs Expert

Jul 26, 2010, 09:45 AM

My female does a reverse sneeze. It's disturbing to hear, but I find she does it less and less. It is a good idea to have her looked over by the vet, pet stores aren't the healthiest of environments and usually the pups aren't from reputable breeders, so there is an increased chance of some sort of hereditary breed issue.

A lot of shorter snouted breeds gag or reverese sneeze.
    Reverse sneezing, is caused by a spasm of the soft palate and laryngeal area. It is termed "reverse sneeze" because the dog is inhaling air rapidly and forcefully instead of expelling air, as with a normal sneeze.

Reverse sneezing is caused by irritation to the throat, pharynx or laryngeal area. This can be from excitement, pulling on the leash, inhalant irritants (pollen, strong odors), respiratory infections, post nasal drip, or for some dogs, sudden changes in temperature -- i.e. leaving a warm house to very cold outdoor temperatures.

One thing the vet should check is for a collapsed Trachea. Also a lot of dogs will cough and gag after a nap or being excited when heart murmurs are present.
    Aurora_Bell Posts: 4,193, Reputation: 822
    Dogs Expert

Jul 26, 2010, 09:50 AM

Seeing as your Cocker SPaniel came froma pet store you may always have house breaking issues. The puppies have spent basically their entire lives in small cages where urinating and pooping is not only acceptable, but their only option.

I find when trying to house break pet store pets, never use puppy pads or indoor grass pads, this will only lead to further confusion. Be consistent, and watch for signs like turning and sniffing. When they use the bathroom out side, make sure to make a big deal out of it. Praise and even offer a small treat. Every time he eats or drinks brig him right out, and wait until he does his business.

Marking can be cured once your dog gets neutered. It doesn't always fix, but it sure helps.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My 5 year old female cocker spaniel has started peeing inside the house at night. [ 1 Answers ]

She was spayed a few months ago and since then started peeing inside which she has never done before. This week she even peed inside during the day - once right in front of me. Why has this suddenly started? We let her out often so there is no reason for it. Is there something I can spray the...

I have a 6 month old puppy who pees inside [ 2 Answers ]

I have a 6 month old puppy who was house trained before we got her now she pees inside, even after tireless efforts of taking her outside a lot

My puppy poops & pees in crate [ 12 Answers ]

My 7 month old shih-tzu puppy continues to poop & pee in his crate. We had a crate that was too big, which we used for the last few months. We just got him a smaller crate, more appropriate for his size, and now he's pooping in it more than he did in the large one. He continues to pee in it...

Cocker spaniel [ 2 Answers ]

My cocker spaniel is whinning, shakeing and when you touch his belly he will curve up and I notice his eyes have a thick soultion running down his face please tell me what is wrong with him

View more questions Search