Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    walkingonadream Posts: 7, Reputation: 2

Feb 23, 2011, 02:16 PM
    My heart rate's abnormally high while working out
    I've recently just joined a gym normally I run outside. I've checked my heart rate while running and it's been at 188. I wasn't really tired and didn't feel like I couldn't run anymore I just checked because my face felt really hot. I wasn't really concerned until I said something about it my sister. We were talking about this 5k run and I said I'd like to do it and I started talking about my dad at the gym. She has athletic asthma, but I don't think I don't have too much or a problem breathing while I run. Is this something I should be worried about and if it is what do you think it is and should I stop going running all together?
    one_4_adventure Posts: 17, Reputation: 2

Feb 23, 2011, 11:36 PM
    Before starting any type of fitness program you should get the OK from a physician (get a physical), that way you will know for sure if you have any thing to be concerned about. Make sure you tell the physician what you were experiencing. Also, how were you taking your HR? Manually or with an electronic HR monitor (Polar as an example)? If you use a HR monitor, the batteries may need to be replaced (this happened to me a few weeks ago).

Eileen G Posts: 1,571, Reputation: 286
    Ultra Member

Mar 3, 2011, 07:25 AM

Don't stop running unless you are under doctor's orders.

In theory, your maximum heart heart is 220 - your age, but this is a guideline, and people who are fit can exceed this without distress.

As the previous poster said, how you take the heart rate makes a difference, some monitors are not that accurate.

As a general rule, you are close to max when you are going flat out, unable to do anything except breath loudly (and everyone looks round to see where the train has broken down). At moderate to high intensity, which is a good workout range, you are sweating and breathing hard, and can get out a few words at a time, but not a complete sentence. If you can hold a conversation, you need to increase your intensity.

An important measure of fitness is how quickly your heart rate returns to normal after a sprint. If it's close to normal within a minute, then you are in good shape.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Abnormally high mineral deposits [ 6 Answers ]

Hello all, thanks for taking the time to help me out. We're the original owners of a two story home built in late 2002. I've noticed we have an unbelievable amount of mineral deposits in our plumbing. None of our neighbors are experiencing the same problems. I have to clean out the cold water...

How to exercise if you have a high heart rate? [ 1 Answers ]

Recently, I was diagnosed with hyperthyroidism. This, in short, speeds up everyday bodily processes, including heart rate and weight loss. Since Christmas, I've lost thirty pounds. Now, I've got loose skin that I'd like to tighten up. The issue is that my heart rate can be over 100 when I'm...

Abnormally small breast! Why me! [ 6 Answers ]

I am 19 and I hate my appearance, it sounds normal right? Well, not me, I am 5'7" around 180lbs and my breast are... unusually small, they barely fill an A cup and if I don't wear a push up bra it appears that I have no breast at all! So my question is does anyone know of a special message or...

My High School Sweetheart still holds my heart! [ 10 Answers ]

Okay this has some back story, I met my high school sweetheart in 4th grade, he sat in front of me and passed me a note asking if I would like to "go out" with him (so cliche)! We stayed together all through junior high, broke at the start of high school and got back together the beginning of...

View more questions Search