Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    aidanht Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 12, 2008, 08:25 AM
    Too many KWh used in empty house
    Hello. We have a brand new home which is Energy Star certified with all energy efficient hvac, windows, etc. We just received our first electric bill. It was for the time of March 31 - April 21 -- 21 days, and it said we used 1256 KWh. During that time, no one was living in the house. We visited a couple of times a week and moved some boxes in, but that was it. The only things plugged in were:

Gas furnace, set at 65 degrees (the weather was pretty mild during the time in question)
    Sump pump
    Dehumidifier
    Microwave (never turned on)
    Oven (never turned on)
    Dishwashwer (never turned on)
    Water heater
    2-3 light bulbs

We had our refrigerator and washer & dryer delivered on 4/19, just two days before the end of the billing cycle.

Since we only used 990 KWh in the house we are living in for a 30-day period in April, we are wondering how it is possible that our empty house used so much electricity. We assume that something is not right, but the electric company is no help. Any idea what we should be checking and how we can determine what the problem is?

Thank you!
    JmacII Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

May 12, 2008, 12:10 PM
    Maybe they didn't actually read the meter. Maybe it was an estimate. Are you set up for budget bill?
    aidanht Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 12, 2008, 12:57 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by aidanht
    Hello. We have a brand new home which is Energy Star certified with all energy efficient hvac, windows, etc. We just received our first electric bill. It was for the time period of March 31 - April 21 -- 21 days, and it said we used 1256 KWh. During that time, no one was living in the house. We visited a couple of times a week and moved some boxes in, but that was it. The only things plugged in were:

gas furnace, set at 65 degrees (the weather was pretty mild during the time in question)
    sump pump
    dehumidifier
    microwave (never turned on)
    oven (never turned on)
    dishwashwer (never turned on)
    water heater
    2-3 light bulbs

We had our refrigerator and washer & dryer delivered on 4/19, just two days before the end of the billing cycle.

Since we only used 990 KWh in the house we are living in for a 30-day period in April, we are wondering how it is possible that our empty house used so much electricity. We assume that something is not right, but the electric company is no help. Any idea what we should be checking and how we can determine what the problem is?

Thank you!!
    That was our first thought, too, but they did read the meter and the number is accurate. Then we thought maybe previous months were estimated and it was just catching up, but the previous month they actually read the meter and the builder was billed for over 3000 kwH.
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

May 12, 2008, 01:58 PM
    Why don't you read the meter and then a day later. Then do the math and make that period of hours equal to 21 days. Compare.

You can also look at the meter dial. It should be spinning at a pretty good clip and try to isolate the circuit responsible, if there is one.

Malfunctioning Gutter de-icing systems and freeze protection systems might be occurring.

Something is wrong!
    demo Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

May 12, 2008, 02:23 PM
    Check the wiring for any strange cords coming off your supply. Someone else might be diverting your juice.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I feel So empty [ 15 Answers ]

My life is pretty calm and I barley have anything wrong. I am an only child and I have a very caring loveing mother that has always been there for me... I don't have a messed up life but I constantley feel as though I have nothing... no feeling what so ever.. and I'm always depressed it seems...

Inexpensive way to keep empty house heated [ 1 Answers ]

I have a small vacation home whose only heat source is a gas stove. It does a great job at heating the entire house when I'm there. But when I'm not there (for weeks at a time), what's the best way to keep the house minimally heated to avoid mold and mildew?

Good temp for empty house? [ 2 Answers ]

We are moving out of our house in Ohio where winter temps can get into the negative degrees (F). We would like to turn the heat down so as not to pay outrageous gas bills. What would be a safe temperature to set the thermostat to so that everything keeps working in the house (pips, water heater,...

Empty period [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I don't know I am not having any blood during my period.. just A Little on the 1st day then nothing now I am on the third day I only got little brown colour, do I need to check doctor? I am not having any meds. :( I am 35 years old

Empty stomach [ 3 Answers ]

How long after eating does it take for your stomach to become empty?

View more questions Search