Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mgar08 Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Feb 11, 2008, 12:23 PM
    Ceiling fan doesn't operates by pull chain only, not wall switch.
    If a ceiling light is controlled by a wall switch, along with one wall outlet on the same wall as the switch, what would cause the switch to become inactive after a hampton bay ceiling fan is installed in place of the ceiling light? The ceiling box has only black, white and ground wire, and the fan, according to the directions, was wired fan white to 120v white, fan black and blue(blue is for fanlight, i.e. two wires total) to 120v black, fan ground (green) to 120v ground (bare wire). The fan and light now work with the pull chains only, regardless of the position of the wall switch, and the wall outlet is always on.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Feb 11, 2008, 12:34 PM
    I would have to guess that your switch has failed in the on position. If your pull chains work all of the time not matter what position of the switch then the switch is shot. Since the outlet is always on I'm fairly certain a bad switch is your problem, test it with wires removed using a continuity tester. If you remove the wires from the switch is the fan now stopped?

Feb 11, 2008, 02:44 PM
    I appreciate your quick response. That the switch was bad had occurred to me. Since I couldn't locate my continuity tester, the first thing I did (before posting my question to askmehelpdesk.com) was replace the wall switch with a new one. The ceiling fan still only operates with the pull chains, not the wall switch. Maybe the new switch is bad too, but I'll have to locate my continuity tester to find out.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Feb 11, 2008, 04:25 PM
    Two bad wall switches would be a bit unusual. You may have a switch loop where to power arrives at the ceiling box and then goes down to the switch and back up again but I doubt this since you don't have enough wires entering the box to be a loop. Do you have a muiltimeter tester or anything other than the continuity tester?
    ceilingfanrepair Posts: 5,733, Reputation: 109
    Uber Member

Feb 11, 2008, 05:37 PM
    You probably connected the switched hot and unswitched hot together in the ceiling box when you installed the fan.

Feb 11, 2008, 09:30 PM
    At both the switch and the ceiling box location, there is only a single black, white and ground wire. No other wires. I don't have a multimeter. The ceiling light was connected black to black, white to white. That's what I did with the fan, per the instructions, with the one addition of the fan light blue wire being connected with the fan black to the 120v black.
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Feb 12, 2008, 06:59 AM
    Don't need a continuity tester, just remove 1 wire from switch to test, Did you change out any recepticles and not remove tab on side of receptacle. If so, a tester would show both wires that go to switch are hot, even when disconnected from switch.
    ceilingfanrepair Posts: 5,733, Reputation: 109
    Uber Member

Feb 13, 2008, 10:01 AM
    Are you sure there's not another wire hidden in the box somewhere?

Strat's idea is a good one. Remove one wire from the switch, cap it off, and see if everything still works. If it does, the problem is in the wiring somewhere. If it does not, the problem is a bad switch.

Feb 14, 2008, 03:38 PM
    It turns out the neutrals were powered in the junction box that fed the switch, outlet and ceiling fan. The switch, for whatever reason, had no power when tested with the continuity tester. By moving some wires, marking the neutral from the switch as hot and connecting that to the black of the fan and outlet, everything is now working. Flip the switch, light and outlet are on! Thank you to all the many responders with your helpful suggestions. This is a great forum!
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Feb 14, 2008, 05:28 PM
    Glad you got it, supposed to have been marked with tape, Usually if you apply a continuity tester to line voltage, a fuse or tester will blow, they should only see resistance, not voltage.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Ceiling fan will not work after replacing 3 speed pull chain switch [ 129 Answers ]

I just recently replaced a 4-wire (3-speed) Ceiling fan switch on my ceiling fan. The chain had broken off inside the switch. After installing the new switch, the fan wouldn't turn At all. I have tried the swithes at all speeds And even went out and purchased another switch thinking the first...

3 speed, 4 wire ceiling fan pull chain switch replacement [ 20 Answers ]

I recently changed the 3 speed 4 wire switch on a ceiling fan as the old one had a broken collar. I purchased a replacement at Lowe's. The replacement worked at high speed only. I was careful in noting which color wires went into slots 1,2, 3 & L. Thinking that the new switch was defective, I...

New pull chain switch for ceiling fan light [ 14 Answers ]

Hello, I just purchased a new pull chain switch for my ceiling fan light. The lead wires coming down are white and blue. The wires on the new switch are black, blue and red. Normally these are simple installs but I need help on how to wire these due to the different colors. Thanks!

Pull chain switch on ceiling fan w/light [ 1 Answers ]

At one time a manufacturer made a helper lever to turn on a light on this kind of light but cannot seem to find it. It fitted right on the switch with an extension so it could be pulled on and would retract into the swith with out hanging up. Anyone lknow of this ltype of helper?

Installing a pull chain switch on a ceiling fan [ 2 Answers ]

I just replaced the broken pull chain switch on a ceiling fan. There were two black wires coming from above the light socket. Either way I attached them to the two black wires coming from the pull switch worked. Does it matter which goes to which if they work either way?

View more questions Search