Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rkunnmann Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Sep 20, 2006, 10:17 AM
    Hampton Bay Ceiling Fans
    I recently moved into a house that had beautiful ceiling fan in the master bedroom. This fan's blades have a ticking noise that increases as the speed is turned up. They are the snap in type blade not screw-in. I have tried to remove and replace them, used shims, and balanced the fan over and over and the problem persists. Does anyone have a solution?
    ceilingfanrepair Posts: 5,733, Reputation: 109
    Uber Member

Sep 20, 2006, 04:05 PM
    Are you sure the ticking noise is from the blades?

http://www.ceiling-fans-n-more.com/c...-and-FAQ.php#5

Sep 20, 2006, 04:27 PM
    99.9% I do. It souns just like the blades sound when clicked into place and when I hold them steady there is no noise.
    Uber Member

Sep 20, 2006, 06:05 PM
    When you hold them steady the fan is not spinning.
    dkimbrough Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Sep 20, 2006, 07:23 PM
    If the ticking is coming from your blades when they are spinning you could have a wire inside the housing that could be moving when fan is spinning causing the wire nut to slap the housing .I have had this problem many many times check it out

Sep 21, 2006, 07:52 AM
    I meant that when I hold the entire fan steady the noise stops
    Uber Member

Sep 21, 2006, 09:45 PM
    Definitely sounds like a balancing issue. See:

http://www.ceiling-fans-n-more.com/b...ing-issues.php
    Qdoggie Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 7, 2010, 12:59 PM
    I had the same problem. I was a very slight clicking, almost a crackle. It didn't bother my wife a bit, but made me nuts (it's in our bedroom). After much trial and error, I found the problem to be the decorative housing plate which covers the top (where the top of the fan post meets the ceiling). We have an arched ceiling, and so need a leveler piece at the top. This housing plate was contacting the painted housing plate, and as the fan would rock AT ALL, the plate would pull slightly away from, then recontact, the leveler, causing a slight clicking sound. I tried super-tightening the decorative housing plate, but it would still do it, so I eventually loosened it so it no longer contacts the leveler (or, on a conventional ceiling, the ceiling itself). Sorry for this longwinded novel, but it's something to check out if all else fails. I'm sleeping like a breeze-caressed baby... :-)
    Uber Member

Aug 13, 2010, 06:26 PM

Sometimes placing paper or rubber washers between the fan and the ceiling can eliminate noise.

General ceiling fan troubleshooting and help FAQ- Ceiling Fans N More

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Hampton Bay Ceiling Fans [ 8 Answers ]

The Hampton Bay Ceiling Fan information has been moved here.

Hampton Bay Ceiling Fans [ 4 Answers ]

Just bought a new Hampton Bay ceiling fan and it was installed by the contractor doing other work in our house. When the four (4) lights are on in the fan, after some time (one hr or so) the lights go off by themselves... also, if the fan is off, after a while it goes on by itself. The light is...

Hampton Bay ceiling fans [ 1 Answers ]

We are installing two Hampton Bay ceiling fans on a cathedral ceiling in a two story great room. For efficiency purposes, do the fans need to be mounted on poles, or can they be installed tight to the ceiling?

Hampton Bay ceiling fans [ 3 Answers ]

I have a Hampton Bay ceiling fan purchased from Home Depot. The fan has a globe lamp just above the four light bulb outlets below the fan blades. My question is what is the best way to change the small light bulbs that have burned out inside the globe lamp? Do I have to take the whole fan down or...

Hampton Bay Ceiling Fans [ 1 Answers ]

I have installed two Hampton Bay 60" Industrial Ceiling Fans (Model # 158 987) on the same electrical circuit. Unfortunately, I had installed the circuit before I purchased the fans. I now find that the 4 speed fan switch is not strong enough to properly operate both fans. They spin on the two...

View more questions Search