Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jeremymacsmith Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jun 9, 2006, 09:13 AM
    Red wires and ceiling fans
    I am trying to replace an existing celing fan. The outlet box has 3 wires, red black and white. It's not clear which is the ground wire. Also, the fan directions say that there is a ground wire coming from the motor, but there is not. There is, however, a grounding wire on the mounting plate. Can someone tell me which of the wires from the outlet box is the ground wire, and then, should I connect that ground to the ground on the mounting plate? Thanks.

Ok, so I now know that I have two hot wires and a neutral. If I cap the red one and connect the other two, then am I good to go. The other confusing thing is that the motor appears to have no ground wire coming from it. It has a remote, which connects to the motor with three wires, black, white and blue for the light. Out of the remote come two wires to connect to the outlet box. Is it possible that I'm missing the ground wire somewhere?
    ceilingfanrepair Posts: 5,733, Reputation: 109
    Uber Member

Jun 9, 2006, 10:00 AM
    None of the wires you mention from the outlet box are ground. Is the outlet box metal?

http://www.ceiling-fans-n-more.com/c...fan-wiring.php

Jun 9, 2006, 11:36 AM
    Yes, the box is metal.
    Uber Member

Jun 9, 2006, 12:39 PM
    Dumb question, God forbid you should be mounting a fan to a plastic box. The box is grounded, and so the metal mounting plate being attached to it, it is already grounded. The mounting plate has a ground wire to attach to the ground from the fan motor in the event the fan is used with rubber to isolate vibration. I am assuming you are mounting the fan close mount without a downrod?

In any case, you wire the remote to white and either red or black. Cap off the other.

Jun 9, 2006, 01:02 PM
    Thanks. Yes, I'm mounting it flush, not with a downrod. The only problem left is that I don't think there's a ground wire from the motor. There are the three wires I mentioned (black, white and blue) for the remote, and then a set of white and red and pink wires that connect to a small black box, but no copper or green wire for a ground. Is it possible that the motor has no ground wire, despite what the manual claims?
    Uber Member

Jun 9, 2006, 02:03 PM
    If you're mounting it flush the motor won't have a ground wire, the ground wire is on the downrod.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Ceiling fan wires? [ 6 Answers ]

I have a ceiling fan with wires blue, black and white, but I have no idea where to connect them with the ceiling supply box. Or in other words do I connect the black into red and blue into blue and I have no idea where white goes plzzz help. Thanks

Ceiling fan wires [ 3 Answers ]

Help! I installed a fan a few yrs ago. It wabbled so we tried to fix that and ended up messing up the light. Today we decided to fix the light. After taking the light kit off it was noticed that only white was coming from the fan to the light kit and black/blue was gone (somewhere in the...

Wiring Ceiling Fan with Two Ground Wires [ 6 Answers ]

Trying to install a ceiling fan... From ceiling: white, black, green and copper wire From fan: white, black, blue and green Connected white.white, black & blue to black... QUESTION: Do I connect green from fan to green in junction box, or to green and copper in junction box? If...

3 wires on ceiling fan [ 5 Answers ]

I picked up a Hampton Bay ceiling fan second hand (minus installation instructions). I went to install it and found that it has three wires: one white, one black, and one blue. There was no ground wire. Is it safe to assume that the blue wire is the ground wire or is it something else? Any thoughts...

Ceiling Fan Wiring - Too Many Wires? [ 3 Answers ]

I hope someone can help. I am putting up a ceiling fan on my outside patio. It can be controlled by two different switches from my house. One in the bedroom and one in the dining room. That's why I think I have extra wires. Here is what I have: From ceiling: 2 black 2 white 1 green 1...

View more questions Search