Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lbrowne Posts: 41, Reputation: 1

Mar 4, 2006, 01:46 AM
    Furnace 911, I have an infant in the house!
    My furnace is acting up. It's a natural gas unit.

We noticed that the temp dropped way below the set mark and after turning the thermostat all the way up the furnace kicked in, then kicks back off. I watch it and it makes several attempts to fire up, I see flames in there, they go for a couple of seconds and then it shuts down.

I have a portable electrical heater for my son's room just in case but this furnace appears to be not functioning properly... any ideas?
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Mar 4, 2006, 06:02 AM
    This can be caused by many things, bad thermostat, a short or loose connection in the tstat wiring, a bad flame sensor, a faulty gas valve, clogged or dirty heat exchanger,etc.

Since the unit is gas, contact your gas utility. Many offer repairs to gas furnaces, and are usually reasonable cost.

They will at least come out to check the problem. It may be a simple fix they can take care of right away.

If the unit has not been serviced, as most people do not realize that gas furnaces need servicing, cleaning, and maintenance, the problem may be easy for them, without being too expensive.

Give them a call right away.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Mar 4, 2006, 06:50 AM
    Unfortunately it is Saturday, and you may have trouble getting a service man and pay through the nose. Your problem sounds very similar to the one at
    https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/showthread.php?t=22066 Make the same checks as I suggested there. Even cleaning the flame detector might restore service. Unfortunately if one of the sensors is bad, or the control board, you won't find them at your local hardware or Lowe's, and the furnace dealer likely is closed Saturday.
    lbrowne Posts: 41, Reputation: 1

Mar 4, 2006, 09:38 AM
    After I cranked it to the max it came on and stayed on. Then I turned it down to normal range and it has worked through the night and all morning. Definitely going to check it out. Thanks guys!
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Mar 4, 2006, 09:42 AM
    Based on that, sounds as if the thermostat is defective, say if you had it on 70 deg, and the furnace keeps starting and stopping, the switch is making and breaking too soon. Once you turn it up to say 80, this keeps the switch closed.

Have the t'stat checked. May be time to change it out to an energy saving set back stat.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Gas furnace [ 2 Answers ]

For the past 2 nights my furnace has been blowing out cold air. I have a furnace which is equipped with an ignition device which automatically lights the piolet. I did everything from cutting off the gas valve and power to furnace. When I restarted everything back up, the furnace came on but no air...

HELP house furnace thermostat? [ 4 Answers ]

My furnace will come on with heat SOMETIMES and sometimes it WILL NOT? If I turn thermostat Down and then Up... it come on. Works for a few hours and then may or may not come back on? This is Thermostate problem or Furnace problem? Anything I can check? Thanks,

Gas furnace [ 14 Answers ]

Igot a 1972 carrer furnace it catches fire at the spud part of burner I got 11.5 inch watter column preasure on line you can cut it off turn it back on and it burns good blaze looks good I need some comet on air ajustment or what might be causing this I have cleaned the burners , thanks.

Furnace [ 3 Answers ]

I have what looks to be a old steam boiler. Any recommendations? I was told that I needed about 100,000 btu's. I know that I will have to get the system size correctly to be sure. But I wanted to find out if there is any particular brands that are good before I start getting quotes. I personal...

New furnace [ 9 Answers ]

I have got an old furnace I am going to have to replace eventually. I was looking for general advice right now what I should know when finding someone to replace it. I don't want to get into a situation where it will cost me thousands of dollars when I don't need to. I have a gas furnace with hot...

View more questions Search