Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    overplayed Posts: 8, Reputation: 2

Jun 19, 2007, 05:59 PM
    Deed of correction?
    I bought a house from an investor who wanted to do the deal using a Gift of Deed. I still took out a loan to pay him so it was not given to me. After the fact, found out this is not on the up and up because I cheated the state of Va out of some taxes. My questions are should I get a Deed of correction, would I need a lawyer to do so and how much trouble could I get into if I did not correct the deed?

Thanks Jeff
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jun 19, 2007, 07:23 PM
    Let me see, he wanted to sell it on a "gift deed" and you did not have a lot of red flags go up.
    And how did you get a loan using this sort of deed.

Did you do a title search and get title insurance to be sure he had the legal right to sell this property. I am sorry I had so many bells and flags going off reading this, I am thinking you were cheated in this somehow and just don't know it yet.

I would get a real estate attorney to look over this entire deal and also do a complete title search
    overplayed Posts: 8, Reputation: 2

Jun 20, 2007, 03:28 AM
    This is my first investment property. I believe that the bank did a title search and I do have title insurance. I am not sure how he got the bank to do but I know that he has done this before. I also have a friend who is a real estate investor who said that he has done this before so I thought that it was OK. He said that it would "save" me some taxes. This is the same property, from the question titled "Eviction of Personal Property", that the former owner is saying that the investor was going to give her a lease option and then she cought the house on fire. I do not believe that the investor has cheated me. He is friends with the other investor that I know. If I had not bought the property, my friend was going to. I just do not want to get into trouble for the way that I bought the house.

Jeff

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Hair Colour Correction [ 2 Answers ]

Hair Colour Correction, HELP!! I died my hair dark brown a couple of months ago, but it turned black. When my roots came through I put 2 other colours on to try and lighten my hair but it only took to my roots, I now have black hair, a brown colour, and my natural medium brown re-growth. So...

W-2 form correction [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I have few questions about revising my W2-form and taxes. 1. I am on H1-B. I got w2-form from my employer for the year 2006. Later in 2007 March Employer complained that the client did not pay last 2 weeks for the services I provided to a client for the past one year. I tried to solve...

W-2 from correction [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I have few questions about revising my W2-form and taxes. 1. I am on H1-B. I got w2-form from my employer for the year 2006. Later in 2007 March Employer complained that the client did not pay last 2 weeks for the services I provided to a client for the past one year. I tried to solve...

Color correction [ 1 Answers ]

After I use either Colorfix or Colorzap, I will need to recolor. I want a light to medium brown. I have heard that sometimes, even after color correction, the hair will go back to dark brown or black unless a very light color is used after stripping. So, my questions are: (1) Will light brown...

Deposit error / correction [ 2 Answers ]

I am bookkeeper for a non-profit company. I take care of two accounts - I will name them General Account and Party Account. I made a deposit to General Account, but the deposit slip was to the Party Account. I know I will have to write a check from the general account to deposit into the party...

View more questions Search