Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    starsbooty Posts: 119, Reputation: 7

Mar 2, 2007, 09:17 AM
    Severe leg cramp
    :confused: hey, so a few days ago I got woke up in the middle of the night with severe leg cramps in my right calf, I never get leg cramps,the next morning my leg was extremely sore like I had did a million leg raises or something, now after that when I have been waking up in the morning the same leg is tingeling like its "asleep" . I don't know what this is from, let me know what you all think! Thanks
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Mar 2, 2007, 05:25 PM
    It sounds as though you may be lacking in potassium. Low potassium can cause this. Try eating some bananas and drinking some orange juice.

Also, if you wear high heals, it may be time to switch to flats for a while.

Mar 2, 2007, 05:41 PM
    I don't wear high heels, but the potassium thing is probably right, I hate bananas with a passion, and I rarely ever to never drink orange juice. But I will, this leg is killing me at night.. thanks so much...
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Mar 2, 2007, 05:44 PM
    Ah girl, I am with you on the bananas!! Ugh, I can't stand them either. So, drink some OJ, eat oranges, kiwi fruit.

Many fruits and veggies dired peas and/or beans, milk and meats will all help you gain your potassium back.
    grammadidi Posts: 1,182, Reputation: 468
    Ultra Member

Mar 2, 2007, 06:03 PM
    There can be a lot of reasons you are having leg cramps. Are you drinking plenty of fluids throughout the day? If not, try increasing your water intake. You may not be getting enough potassium in your diet. You can increase your potassium intake and see if the cramps go away. Sources of potassium: salmon, broccoli, citrus fruits (bananas, oranges, apples, dried apricots), peas, tomatoes, potatoes, lettuce and spinach.

Are you taking any medications? Some medications can cause leg cramps at night. I think the best bet would be to try increasing your potassium intake and if that doesn't help you should see a doctor because there are many medical conditions such as a B-12 deficiency, diabetes, parkinson's disease and others.

Also, decrease your alcohol intake, exercise your muscles (no prolonged sitting), stretch your leg before going to bed. I know that it sounds painful, but if you get the cramps, the best thing to do is get up and walk. OUCH! A hot bath can help, or applying a cold pack/ice.

I sometimes get them in the winter if I wear shoes instead of boots when I am driving. I think the gas pedal is too cold for my feet. Either way, if it continues, please see a doctor.

Mar 5, 2007, 09:39 AM
    Thanks everbody! I ate some banana pudding.. lol.. that's the best I could do with the bananas, and I have been drinking a lot of oj.. it hasn't happened since I finished like a gallon of the juice. So thanks very very much!
    Tuscany Posts: 1,049, Reputation: 229
    Ultra Member

Mar 5, 2007, 09:46 AM
    When I was in the hospital I would get them a lot. The nurses there game me Tonic Water because of the quianine (spelling sorry). It naturally helps relieve the pain of the cramps. Try it if you get another one... it actually does work.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

*I NEED HELP* severe depression [ 7 Answers ]

I have 15 out of 17 signs of depression from a website, almost every quiz I've taken says I have severe depression or bipolar, I'm an actress naturally so I naturally hide my feelings, and can't help it. I have a lot of trouble, even on IM, saying that I'm not OK, (unless to total strangers like...

Severe peeling on cedar siding [ 4 Answers ]

I hope someone can help us, and if not steer us to someone who might be able to. Thank You. My wife and I built a house in Southeastern Wisconsin at the end of 2001 and chose to use cedar siding. Construction began at the end of 01 and the house was sided in November. Because of the weather...

Where To Start With Severe Debt? [ 4 Answers ]

Hello all! My girlfriend moved to NY to go to school about six years ago. She was young and dumb and accrued large amounts of credit card debt, school loans, doctor bills, etc. She owes about $12k in student loans (they've been defaulted for about 5 years) $3 - 5k in credit card debt and $3k in...

Dystonia, Severe Spasams [ 2 Answers ]

Is it possible for Dystonia of the leg to spread to other parts of the body? A present from a stroke.

Acute Severe Dizziness [ 3 Answers ]

I have developed acute severe dizziness when changing positions. Could it be an inner ear infection?

View more questions Search