Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tdamian73 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 18, 2008, 01:00 PM
    Divorce and immigration
    My wife and I have been married 10 years. She is canadian and has her green card. I am american and we live in the US. We have 3 children born in the us and are citizens. If we divorce, does she have to leave the US?
    lawanwadee Posts: 3,653, Reputation: 124
    Immigration Expert

Nov 18, 2008, 02:21 PM

No, if she is a LPR (lawful permanent resident with 10 years greencard), divorce has nothing to do with her status.
    tdamian73 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 18, 2008, 02:30 PM

Good to know. Actually, married 10 years, 10 years in the system, green card for 6.5 years (INS was slow). It expires in 2012. What then? Does she need me for paperwork or can she do it on her own? It's obviously not a sham marriage. Shambles is another story, but at least not fraudulent. Thanks for your help.
    lawanwadee Posts: 3,653, Reputation: 124
    Immigration Expert

Nov 18, 2008, 02:36 PM

She can be on her own.. no need of your support on documentation.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Immigration and Divorce [ 5 Answers ]

Hello, Im going through a separation and I need some help understanding where I stand and what I can do as far as removing her legal status. Im married for 3 years and 6 months in Feb. 07, 2003 with a Mexican citizen and for the first two years of marriage I did not submitted her I-130 petition...

Immigration and Divorce [ 3 Answers ]

My husband and I got married in January. I filed for him to get his green card the process is almost over. I found out recently he is cheating on me with another women. He plans to divorce me when this process is over, and re-marry the other women. What should I do:confused:

Divorce and immigration [ 6 Answers ]

My husband and I have the longest wait time for legal paperwork to get done... it's been two years and still waiting. However, I do not want to stay married, and while we were married legitimately, I was wondering if anyone can tell me if I can get a legal separation without screwing up his...

View more questions Search