Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    cu506 Posts: 22, Reputation: 1

May 4, 2007, 07:46 AM
    Cracks where ceiling meets wall
    I moved in 30 years ole house 4 years ago. When I moved in, the house was newly painted. Now I found cracks on paint everywhere.

I don't worry about them 'cause it's just cosmetic. However, there's a long line of crack where ceiling meets wall in all three bedrooms upstairs.

It's like hairline crack. I don't think the gap is getting bigger, but certainly it moves along the line.

Is it normal? Or is it something that I have to fix right away?
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

May 4, 2007, 07:55 AM
    That crack is probably nothing to worry about either. A diagonal crack at a doorway or window is frequently a sign of settling and your crack may be too. There is slight movement in your home and it could just be the humidity level changing with the seasons. Keep an eye on the cracks so you'll know if something makes a radical change but don't worry for now. Try a paintable caulk and make the smallest hole in the tube end. Strike a bead along the crack and wipe it with a wet finger or paper towel. Use white caulk and the crack should disappear for the most part.
    cu506 Posts: 22, Reputation: 1

May 4, 2007, 07:58 AM
    Thank you very much. I was looking up the ceiling for 3 days. ^^ I guess I need to give some time to see the crack development and relax.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

May 4, 2007, 08:03 AM
    My new addition developed many cracks along the ceiling as the lumber dried out after construction. I made the patch 2 years ago and it still looks fine. Do you try to maintain a certain humidity level in your home? Cracks mean movement and drying, seldom caused by too much humidity.
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

May 12, 2007, 09:42 PM
    You could also have truss lift as I have here. No cure found so I used a moulding between wall and ceiling.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Dripping sound in wall and ceiling [ 29 Answers ]

Hello - I have a perplexing problem. The past month or so I've noticed a distinct dripping sound in two places whenever I use any of the plumbing in my two-story townhouse. When I run the kitchen sink (w/ hot or cold water), I hear a dripping sound in the ceiling above the kitchen (and the sound...

Ceiling fan + 2 wall switch [ 1 Answers ]

Good morning all, I recently installed a ceiling fan in my Son's bedroom. I thought everything was installed correctly however when I go to the wall switch only 1 of the switches appears to be connected. So both the fan and light are controlled by 1 switch. I would rather have both switches...

Wall remote for ceiling fan [ 2 Answers ]

Hi guys. I see that you have a lot of experience. I looked through other posts and did not see the answer to this particular situation. Thanks so much for your help. Hampton bay fan came with wall remote but Fan is not operated from a wall switch. ...

Hairline Cracks in Fiberglass Tub Wall [ 2 Answers ]

My 25 year old 1 piece fiberglass tub shower unit has developed three 2 inch hairline cracks in the shower wall. It does not appear that water is seeping through the cracks. Is there a preferred sealant for ensuring that water does not sweep throgh these cracks? Thanks, Steve

View more questions Search