Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    michelleneedshelpplease Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 21, 2006, 12:40 PM
    No water running from taps (hot)
    I have no hot water running from my taps, or if so very low pressure. Is there anythung I Can do? I need a bath.lol

Any Ideas Pease.:mad:
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

May 22, 2006, 05:43 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by michelleneedshelpplease
    I have no hot water running from my taps, or if so very low pressure. Is there anythung i Can do? I need a bath.lol

Any Ideas Pease.:mad:
    Hi Michelle,
    The most common cause of blockage in the hot water system is lack of maintenance in the hot water heater. If the heater isn't flushed on a regular basis,( more about that later) then minerals build up until they find their way into the hot water pipes. Once in the pipes making a draw from a faucet will suck the debris up into the faucets seat or inlet ports of the cartridge clogging the flow.
    The repair is both repetitious and tedious. Each faucet must be taken apart and the crud cleaned out. Then before the faucet's reassembled the branch line must be flushed clear. This will have to be done on every faucet and branch line affected until all runs free. You might consider calling in a plumber if you're not comfortable tearing into the hot water system.
    You should also set up a regular monthly maintenance schedule t6o flush out the minerals that have built up in your heater.
    Let me show you how. Attach a hose to the boiler drain at the bottom of the tank. With the pressure on, open the boiler drain and let it run until the water runs clear. You will see a spurt of red,(rust) followed by white grains,(lime or calcium carbonate). This shouldn't take more then a few minutes. Do this monthly to keep it clear. Now flush out your hot water lines on ALL fixtures. Now pull each aerator and clean the screens. Be sure you put them back togather the same way you took them out. Don't forget to flush it out every month. Your heater will thank you for it. Good luck, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Help no water from hot water taps [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I managed to put a nail through a central heating pipe today and had a wee leak, in a panic turned everything off, every stop cock I could find in the hot water cupboard and the mains etc, repaired the leak by draining the heating system and turned everything back on. Great except that we have...

Hot water from cold taps when HW recirculator on [ 12 Answers ]

My hot water recirculator is on a timer, and whenever it is on, hot water comes from the cold taps. After a minute or so, the cold water starts coming out. Any chance this is something I can fix myself (I'm a total novice) If I do have to call a plumber, are there any things I can find out...

Water won't stop running [ 3 Answers ]

Changed the stems and the cold water works fine but I can not get the hot water to stop running. I have the handle turned off completely and it runs like I have it wide open. Please help us as soon as possible

No water from any taps [ 4 Answers ]

I am on a well and septic. 2 days ago, the water was sputtering from the taps. Yesterday, there was no water at all. We were able to use, it seemed, whatever was left in the holding tank, as each toilet had a flush left in it, and a very tiny stream of water came out in the bathroom. We do not...

No hot water coming out of taps [ 1 Answers ]

Not very long ago my pipes started making a horrible howling noise from the hot water supply whilst running a bath, now the hot water tap only runs for about 2 minutes and then trickles and stops and has also moved to the sink and kitchen. Our cold water remains fine. Our heating system is a...

View more questions Search