Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    djeung Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 2, 2012, 01:50 PM
    How much "stronger" is a drink with 100 proof alcohol than one with 80 proof alcohol?
    My friend and I disagree about how to compute the difference between two drinks, one with 100 proof vodka and one with 80 proof. By volume the difference is 10% (40% vs 50% by volume), but in reality, isn't the one with 50% by volume 25% stronger than the one with 40% by volume?

In other words, how would this be answered:

The drink with 100 proof alcohol is ______ (% here) stronger than the drink with 80 proof alcohol.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Jan 3, 2012, 07:14 AM
    Since "proof" is a measure of the liquor's alcohol content (proof number = 2 times the alcohol percentage), a 100 proof drink compared to an 80 proof drink is (100-80)/80 = 25% stronger.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

"Form" placed in "Microsoft Access" can be accessed from a "Button" in "VB.Net" App [ 1 Answers ]

Hi All, Actually, I'm not very well in programming but a task is assigned to me related to .Net. Basically, there is a database in Microsoft Access. I have made forms in it which are based on queries to retrieve required results. I have also made graph of it. Now, I have to merge this...

Catholic Bishop needs "PROOF" of Holocaust [ 16 Answers ]

BERLIN — A bishop who faces a Vatican demand to recant his denial of the Holocaust said he would correct himself if he is satisfied by the **evidence**, but insisted that examining it "will take time," a German magazine reported Saturday. Richard Williamson is one of four bishops from the...

View more questions Search