Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ybeisner Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 12, 2007, 10:59 AM
    Wouldn't give car insurance info
    My daughter rear ended someone on the freeway, obviously her fault. Their car only suffered minor damage, they didn't want to give my daughter insurance info because of this, they asked her to pay the damages on the side.
    How do I know they have insurance, how do we trust what they are asking monetarily?
    Can they sue us? Should we just let our insurance handle this and stay out of it. No police report filed, how will they get his insurance info.
    tombb25 Posts: 37, Reputation: 7

May 12, 2007, 11:51 AM
    If they want to handle it that shouldn't be a big deal, have them go to a reputable body shop and then you can pay the repair. If you want to turn it into your insurance because you don't want to pay for it, then report it to your insurance and they will take care of it.

The only reason this could be a big problem is if #1, the shop overcharges you because they know the shop owner, or #2 if they try to claim bodily injury and then want to sue you.

I always think it is best to turn it into the insurance.
    grammadidi Posts: 1,182, Reputation: 468
    Ultra Member

May 12, 2007, 12:07 PM
    If their damage was minimal and they realized that if an insurance claim is filed that it will affect insurance rates, I can understand why they wanted to settle it without the insurance companies being involved. Did your daughter's car sustain much damage? If not, what is the problem? In a minor accident I would probably do the same thing. It's crazy to jack up insurance rates over minor things. However, that is just my opinion, not a professional one.

Didi
    drake011049 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

May 12, 2007, 01:08 PM
    It is also possible that they don't have insurance, I've had that happen to me. I accidentally backed into a mans car a couple years ago and he said just to pay him, since I was like 17 he said he didn't want my insurance rates to go up for such a small mistake. I thought it was nice of him until he told me what the bill was, he said it was going to cost $3500. I use to work in my fathers autobody shop and it was at MOST a $1000 repair. So I told him I would just settle through insurance and we need to exchange information. He hung up and I never heard from him again.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

May 12, 2007, 01:14 PM
    I had a similar circumstance with my NEW car a week after I bought the car last summer.

The gal wanted to just "leave it be" but I decided was best to get a police report. Then she, all of the sudden, wanted to try and work it out. So I asked her to get 3 estimates for me... 1 to include her favorite body shop, the 2nd to include my favorite body shop, and a 3rd to be an impartial body shop that knew neither one of us.

She started screaming at me, so I told her it would be best handled through our respective insurance companies. I called my company, told them that I would not be filing a claim because there was no damage to my car, but gave her info.

Never heard hide nor hair from her again.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 12, 2007, 01:27 PM
    1 did you call the police to the scene to do a report?

2. most people don't want the police because they do not have insurance, they do not have a drivers license, or they are wanted on a warrant.

3. normally they don't give insurnce out because they don't have any.

4. I have personally done a few on the side, ( esp when it was my fault)
    I required them to sign that this was settlement in full for accident and covered all current and future damages.

5. If he was her fault, and they will settle for 100 bucks, I would do it personally but then if they really gave me a bad feelling I would turn it over to my insurance and let them pay them.

Remember if it is your fault it does not matter if they have insurance or not, you would still have to pay for the damges.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Car Accident info needed [ 9 Answers ]

About 1 month ago, I got into a car accident. I was stopped at an exit ramp and another car hit me from behind. There was barely any damages on my car or his car. He claimed that someone also hit him from the back, but then drove away. Getting hit from behind hurt my neck/head (whiplash) and that...

About car insurance [ 2 Answers ]

Hi there!I renewed my car insurance, and I just want to know if I still need to put my violation in the renewal papers that I need to return to the insurance company even though I already pay for my ticket and take the traffic school?tnx

Car insurance [ 3 Answers ]

I'm with GEICO. When I ask for a quote from Allstate or state farm I ran into a series of agents. Each with different quotes. Each agency Had different premiums for the same coverage. How does this system of Insurance agents work. With GEICO I did not have any agent

Do I have to give my info [ 1 Answers ]

I have requested an increase in child support and their father has obtained legal council. I can not afford council because he has not been paying the right amount since 2003. Long story short after we broke up and I filed he did everything in his power to evade paying. Quiting his job, getting...

Car insurance [ 5 Answers ]

What is the minimum amount of coverage needed by law.

View more questions Search