Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    cmk0727 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 21, 2009, 09:57 PM
    Trying to get custody of my niece
    I want to look into getting custody of my 3 year old niece. My sister is a drug addict and has not be taking care of her properly for a long time. I took my niece from her because she is doing drugs in front of her. I am assuming that you could say I have her illeagly. I mean my sister knows she is with me but just doesn't care. Her father comes in and out of the picture. Her has done many different drugs as well and I have no idea if he still does. But I do know that he has no job and has never paid any child support and goes from place to place to sleep at different family houses. SO my question how do I go about trying to get custody or her. Can my sister sign something that says she gives me custody? Do we have to go in front of a jodge or can we just do this with a lawyer?
    If I have temporary custody can I apply for family assistance?

Any help or suggestions anything will be helpful not to sure where to go with this.
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Mar 22, 2009, 11:18 AM

First off you could be appointed guardian of the child and later pettion the courts for custody using the grounds you have stated. That way it shows that your trying to follow the law and also trying to look after the best interests of the child. Are you married ? If so would your husband be willing to adopt ? As far as the family assistance goes you need to call your local office and ask what form of custody they would need in case you have to apply for it.
    It can vary from state to state.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Getting custody of my niece [ 3 Answers ]

Okay first off I live in Indiana. Secondly I would like to know if anyone knows what steps I need to take to get custody of my niece. Here's the story: My sister and her husband are divorced theyhave been going to court off and on for approx. 6 years now over custody issue. She is currentlyliving...

Want to take custody of my 5yr old niece [ 9 Answers ]

Hi everyone, my name is Tanya, I'm 21 yrs old, single and in the military. I want to take custody of my 5 yr old niece and also find a good place for her sisters 17 month old twins. Their mother uses drugs and does not take care of them like she's supposed to. My brother who's her father is going...

Want custody of my niece [ 1 Answers ]

About 12 years ago my brother in-law and his wife got divorced and gave up custody of there 2 kids. The younger one lived with a great uncle and his wife. They recently got divorced and she now lives with the woman. She is no blood relation. The little girl has rotten teeth and her head has...

Want custody of my niece... [ 6 Answers ]

I want to take custody of my niece but I'm not sure where to turn. She is three years old and has already lived through more stuff than I have. My brother is in a bad situation and she is not being taken care of. I would like to approach him with this but I want to know the facts first. I also know...

View more questions Search