Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sarah marlow Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 11, 2008, 03:48 AM
    Water meter turns but no leak
    Hi

I live in france and have had new interior plumbing which is now 2 years old. The water meter is going round when there is no water on. We can hear water going through the pipes when the stop valves are off, although the water in the kitchen(cold) will not turn off from these stop valves. What can I do to find the leak.
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Jun 11, 2008, 04:24 AM
    Hi Sarah:

Are you on a slab home.. In other words, do you have a full basement or no basement? Can you see any pipes going into the ground?

Did you shut the shutoff to the toilet(s) when testing the meter? I would start here, by shutting these shutoffs and then check the meter again. If meter stops when toilet shutoff is shut off then most likely will need to replace the toilet flapper in tank or will need to adjust the height of the water in tank so it doesn't overflow the overflow tube at the center of the tank.

Check the toilets as suggested and then get back to us with results. The kitchen sink will not be the issue in this case... ;)

Otherwise, give us more info. To help us pinpoint this for you...

Mark
    Unknown008 Posts: 8,076, Reputation: 723
    Uber Member

Jun 11, 2008, 04:34 AM
    Check your water tank if you have any. If no water is coming in and the meter still goes on, then there's perhaps a leak, maybe under your house or in the walls. Check if you have any taps in the garden directly connected to your main supply.

I myself had a leak in my garden from an underground pipe and it was much later that my dad realised that there was a problem from the garden pipe.

Hoped it helped.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jun 11, 2008, 04:34 AM
    Answer Marks questions and then locate the house shut off and close it. Is the meter still turning? There's no doubt something's running. Mark's trying to determine whether you have a hidden leak or a leaking appliance. Back to you, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Water Meter [ 13 Answers ]

My water meter has been running up huge charges, and is twice - three times what it should be. Searched everywhere for leaks, but there are none. A guy told me that if we have air in the lines, this could cause our meter to false read. Now we do have air in the lines. You can hear it as it comes...

Sparks at the Water Meter [ 14 Answers ]

We had some plumbing work done today, which required the plumber to disconnect the water meter. As the plumber was re-connecting the meter, he noticed some sparking between the house-side pipe connection and the meter. What could cause this? Is it dangerous or will it cause problems such as pipe...

Fix leak at joint from city meter to home [ 2 Answers ]

Have leak at joint where the city water comes into the house. Will silicone caulk work?

Where is the water going.Leak, meter? [ 3 Answers ]

I received my bi-monthly water bill recently. It stated that I had used 15,000 gallons of water. I usually use 7-8,000 gallons. None of the fixtures are leaking, no water in the house, and no swampy areas of the lawn. With all fixtures in the off position and no water being intentionally used, I...

Water Meter Dial & Possible Leak [ 1 Answers ]

The dial on my water meter that detects water flow (I think this is how one detects a leak) normally moves in a counter clockwise direction when water is flowing from a sink etc. When water was not flowing, the dial would stop then creep slowly still in a counter clockwise direction. I suspected...

View more questions Search