Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    worfpunk Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 6, 2008, 11:59 AM
    Has anybody else noticed DNS IP lookup is taking a long time across the web lately?
    For the last few weeks, I've noticed that no matter what computer I'm on, whether at work, home, or some random computer at a friend's house, or at the library, when I try to connect to any website for the first time that session, the "looking up/for www.example.com" at the bottom left of my browser window takes no less than four full seconds, but usually more like thirty seconds.
    That's really slow for DNS resolution.
    Like I say, I've noticed it on every computer I've tried here in Los Angeles.
    Once the DNS resolves, the connection is plenty fast, and browsing speed is normal compared to what I'm used to experiencing.

Originally, I thought it was just my home computer, but then I noticed my work computers, all of them, were doing the same thing, and then I started paying attention, and noticed it happening on all computers I tried it on.

Has anyone else noticed this slowing down of the DNS layer?
    WallyHelps Posts: 1,018, Reputation: 136
    Ultra Member

Sep 6, 2008, 12:14 PM
    There was recently found a flaw in the design of DNS. More accurately, DNS was designed back in the day when there were no "bad guys" on the web.

On July 8, vendors for all DNS-related projects released patches to work around this vulnerability. The basic result is that ports are randomized instead of always using port 53. My guess is that this randomizing may take some more time than using a fixed port.

For a DNS provider that has been using source-port randomization all along, check out OpenDNS. I've been using them for several years now, and it works great for me. Perhaps your current DNS provider is slow.

Good Luck,
    WallyH

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Vok [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, I have a Vokčra Compact 35 HE and it is taking far too long to heat water. After turning the tap on to getting hat water takes a minimum of 45-50 seconds. If the tap is turned off and back on then the hot water goes cold and it takes approx. the same time again (the same cycle as from...

Potty training taking so long! [ 7 Answers ]

I just wondered if anyone had any pearls of wisdom. I introduced a potty months ago and now my daughter is 2 I have been making a big effort to potty train but she is so inconsistent. She is 26 months and tells me when she has done a pee, likes her potty, understands but sometimes just loses...

Oven taking too long to preheat [ 3 Answers ]

Hi! I have a White-Westinghouse gas oven with electronic ignition, model #GF835FXW and serial #XFF7016T. It is approximately 23 years old. It was here when we moved into this house 2 years ago. Two times in the past week ,(9/20) and (9/23), when I preheated the oven, it took a long time to...

Forward lookup,reverse lookup [ 1 Answers ]

Hi I am not getting the idea what exactly is FORWARD LOOKUP, REVERSE LOOKUP,zones while configuring DNS . Can anone explain briefly or give me the link to go through:)

View more questions Search