Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ssnj73 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 8, 2007, 01:31 PM
    Tenant Issues
    I have a tenant who pays the rent habitually late. And two of her rent checks have bounced in the last year and a half. Her lease is up in May can I evict her prior to the expiration of her lease? Is her security deposit defaulted? Can she be required to pay all of the fees incurred as a result of her bounced checks?
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Dec 8, 2007, 03:43 PM
    Hello ssnj:

If you DIDN'T evict her when the checks bounced, and you collected your rent, you can't NOW use that as grounds.

Her security deposit is for damages to your unit - nothing else. It's not a landlord bonus.

She can be required to pay ALL your bank fees IF you put it in your lease. If you didn't, then you can't. You cannot go back and change the agreement you made with her.

excon

PS> You might want to check out the landlord/tenant law for your state. We have a copy right here at the top of the page on a “sticky note”. They are the RULES for the landlord business, after all. Within those rules are ALL your answers.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Leasing Tenant evicting another Tenant [ 1 Answers ]

What is required by the court in the state of Michigan for a listed Tenant to Evict a non listed Tenant on a lease/land contract when the non listed Tenant pays the monthly rent, and all utilities are in non listed tenants name at the residents and both have been a resident from day one and the...

Tenant vs. Tenant Dispute [ 2 Answers ]

Hello All, I have recently had an issue arise with a neighbor a few doors down. She has called in noise complaints that are unfair and some that are just plain false. These complaints have caused us issues with our leasing office. If we continue to get these complaints from this neighbor we...

Errection issues or Attraction issues [ 3 Answers ]

Folks! - I have a problem. I'm 26, my girlfriend is 20 - We both hold eastern values (for the most part) and I've been with her for about 1 year now - we've been having regular sex everyday pretty much for about 8/9 months now - and by regular sex I mean sex every day, sometimes couple of times...

View more questions Search