Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Ricrob Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 7, 2007, 09:12 AM
    Salary and Overtime
    I am a salaried employee for a non profit organization. I am a supervisor. I routinely work overtime and am on 24/7 call. I asked my employer about being compensated for all the overtime I work and was told that the contract I signed states that I am paid for 40 hours a week or how ever long it takes me to do my job. Is this legal?:rolleyes:
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Apr 7, 2007, 09:19 AM
    Afraid its legal. You are salaried not hourly and salaried people almost never get overtime. Sorry
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Apr 7, 2007, 10:12 AM
    Yes it is legal. The feds show two types of employees, exempt and non-exempt. Most managerial people are considered exempt (from overtime).

What you can try to do is negotiate some comp time.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 7, 2007, 10:54 AM
    Yes, welcome to management, mangers don't get paid any overtime, if you work 60 or 90 hours it don't matter you are paid one rate of pay no matter how many hours you work,

So the next time you see a manager remember if they have to come in on their day off to cover for someone that did not show up, understand why they are mad.

As noted if you work extreme hours out of normal, then you can see about getting some other time off for working those longer hours

And of course you need to manage your time where you are not working as many exgtra hours if possible

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Home country salary from US salary [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I am a L1 visa holder from india and was working in Massachusetts from aug 2005 to dec 2005 as a contractor from my original company in india. I used to receive the US salary from aug 2005 to dec 2005 for which I have the W2. During the same period I also used to receive my indian...

Does the color of asphalt shingles fade overtime? [ 1 Answers ]

My wife and I purchased our first home 4 years ago and it was newly built. I noticed the other day that the shingles seem to be slightly lighter than when we first moved in. Do they normally fade over time? You can't really tell that much of a difference if you are looking at them close up, its...

Overtime [ 3 Answers ]

The company I used to work for was on a bi-monthly payroll, which was the 1st -15th, and 16th - end of the month. My question is, I was paid for a consistent 106-108 hours every pay period (4hrs SU, 8hrs M-TH, 2 1/2 F, 7hrs Sat, *A couple times an extra 30min-1 1/2hr were put in a week) Many...

Employer owes overtime [ 5 Answers ]

My former employer never pays overtime. They are a small, family business who pays only cash for OT, as well as improper business practices as cash sales undeclared etc. My brother still is there and is owed years of correct OT- I told him to report them to IRS, and Labor but he knows he will be in...

401K Overtime [ 2 Answers ]

Just a query as to how a company with a 401K plan can manipulate the plan so that an hourly employee's contributions are limited to a 40 hour work week and overtime earnings are not considered or calculated into their contributions? This doesn't seem to be a fair practice to me. Anybody know of the...

View more questions Search