Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    MARLEYGIRL27 Posts: 19, Reputation: 1

Jul 9, 2012, 04:55 PM
    I have a seven week old blue pitbull puppy. What and How can I get her to gain weight
    I have a seven week old blue pit blue puppy. It is a female puppy. She nibble off her food. She weight 7lb 5oz she is under weight. I want to know what can I give her to make her gain weight. You can see her ribs and that isn't the way I like to see her looking. I took her to the Veterinary and he gave her a shot and put her on this med to take daily. The name of the med that she has to take daily are Albon and Val. She takes Albon 1/2 twice a day and Val she takes only once a day. Last week she was keep in the Vet because she was running a high fever. The Veterinary ran testes and she was eating a little better but after that she just starting to nibble. The med that they put her on all she is wanting to do is sleep and barely eating anything. So if anybody know what can I give her to gain some weight please give me so advice. What are some food that I can give her to help her gain weight and pick up a appletie. She also have been wormed.

Jul 9, 2012, 04:56 PM
    I have a seven week old blue pitbull puppy. What and How can I get her to gain weight
    I have a seven week old blue pit blue puppy. It is a female puppy. She nibble off her food. She weight 7lb 5oz she is under weight. I want to know what can I give her to make her gain weight. You can see her ribs and that isn't the way I like to see her looking. I took her to the Veterinary and he gave her a shot and put her on this med to take daily. The name of the med that she has to take daily are Albon and Val. She takes Albon 1/2 twice a day and Val she takes only once a day. Last week she was keep in the Vet because she was running a high fever. The Veterinary ran testes and she was eating a little better but after that she just starting to nibble. The med that they put her on all she is wanting to do is sleep and barely eating anything. So if anybody know what can I give her to gain some weight please give me so advice. What are some food that I can give her to help her gain weight and pick up a appletie. She also have been wormed.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jul 9, 2012, 05:14 PM
    Val is a food supplement, vitamins.

Albon is an antibiotic.

Why is she on an antibiotic?

Jul 9, 2012, 05:17 PM
    I need and answer so that I can help MarleyGirl gain weight. Her name is my Profile name but with my age that is all. So can someone get at me like ASAP PLEASE! I give her Purina Puppy Chow (Complete & Balance for growing puppies. I feed her three time a day. She has a good meal in the morning she eat almost all her food and the next two meals of the day she nibbles nothing more. She drinks a lot of water but the weight is increasing at all. I tried even giving her the Gerber Toddler (Chicken sticks) by mixing that into her food and that not even helping. I don't know what else I can do to get her weight up. Please leave me a comment on what I can do to get her to her better and for her to gain weight.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Jul 9, 2012, 05:29 PM
    Please be patient, we volunteer here, we're not paid employees that do nothing but sit and answer questions all day. We work, we have families, and we have lives. Sometimes it can take a while for the right person to see your question, especially if it's not in the right forum. I've asked the mods to move this to the dog forum.

First, Purina puppy chow is not a good food. I would talk to your vet and ask him/her to recommend a better brand of food. Purina puppy chow is mostly filler, it's not great for any dog, much less a puppy that needs extra nutrition to grow. I'm not a fan of Iams, but that is the food my vet recommends. Talk to your vet, especially since your vet knows about your puppies health issues.

If you're going to try human food fix sticks aren't a good idea. Chicken (broiled without the skin), and rice is a great food for dogs, and healthy as well. Most dogs have no problem eating it. I wouldn't mix it in with her regular food, because then she'll expect it all the time.

If you decide to change dog foods do it slowly. Start with 1/4 new food 3/4 old food, feed that for a few days. If she doesn't have a bad reaction then try 1/2 new and 1/2 old for a few days. Still no reaction and then you can go from 3/4 new to 1/4 old for a few days. After that you switch completely to the new food. It's important to do this to avoid stomach upset, especially in a dog that's already under weight.

Just want to add that she's still very young. At 7 weeks of age she may still need her food softened. In fact, she shouldn't even be away from her mother or litter mates yet. How long have you had her?

Jul 9, 2012, 05:44 PM
    She goes to the vet and that is the food that the vet recommended for her to eat that isn't working so that is why I tried other suggestings. So she go to the vet faithfully.
    Pets Expert

Jul 9, 2012, 05:51 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by MARLEYGIRL27 View Post
    She goes to the vet and that is the food that the vet recommended for her to eat that isn't working so that is why i tried other suggestings. So she go to the vet faithfully.
    The vet recommended Purina puppy chow? Really? I've never heard of a vet that would recommend that food. Not once in my entire life of owning dogs. In fact, most vets try to push the overly expensive food they sell at their clinic.

I feed my puppy Beneful puppy food and I got an earful from my vet, even though he's doing very well on that food.

I can only tell you what my vet told me. She said that if we decided to go with a commercial dog food (one sold in pet stores) that she would recommend IAMS. I tried IAMS and my dogs didn't like it, but that doesn't mean that your puppy won't.

Not that I have anything against Purina. Beneful is made by Purina. I'm just not a fan of the puppy chow line.

I would like to know how long you've had your puppy, because as I said, 7 weeks is very young, too young to be away from her mom. Are you wetting down the food for her? What was she fed before you got her?

Jul 9, 2012, 06:08 PM
    That is the med that the Vet gave me when she first went to get started on her shots. So that med got her sleeping all the time.

Jul 9, 2012, 06:10 PM
    That is the med that the Vet gave me when she first went to get started on her shots. So that med got her sleeping all the time. But she don't want to eat as much so that is what I need advice with.

Jul 10, 2012, 05:29 PM
    I use the Lester Veterinary that is located in Alexandria, LA and that is the dog for that that vet recommended me to Purina Puppy Chow or Science Diet Puppy (small bite) and the veterinary even told me to give her Gerber meat stick for toddler. I got her when she was six weeks old and now she is seven weeks so I had her for about a week now. Every since I got her she been like she is getting sick. I took her to the Vet 7/2/12 and that was her first exam cost me $110.00 then, I back doe and had to take her back that following Friday because she didn't want to eat her food and she was running a high fever the vet exam her again and then they keep her over night and I came to pick her up that Saturday morning before noon I went to pick her that cost me $147.00. Now her eyes is swollen up and itchy. So what do you think I should do? I call the vet today and he told me to give her some Benadryl for allergy. So I'm trying not to have to keep taking her to the vet because I think they is just out for the money. And not getting my puppy well at all just making it to that I have to keep bring in and spending money. If you have any advise please let me know if that vet knows what he is talking about. Because she is under weight she weight only 7lb 5oz and I know that she should be bigger then that at her age. What would you recommend to give her as food wise and for her allergy? What you think will help her gain some weight because if you have a personal email and you don't mind giving it to me I will send you several picture of her so that you could see how under weight she really is. I'm asking you for your help please if you don't mind helping me but that is the information that that vet gave to me to give my puppy. I don't want anything to happen to my puppy but the way it going it like she is getting down to her last stage and I'm trying to do all that I can for her. Yes, I even put hot water on her food to softing it up and she eating that but the only food that I have is that Purina Puppy Chow at this time, because I don't know what other food will be best for her to gain her weight back. PLEASE HELP ME WITH YOUR ADVICE IF YOU CAN.

Jul 10, 2012, 05:35 PM
    [QUOTE=MARLEYGIRL27;3189881]I use the Lester Veterinary that is located in Alexandria, LA and that is the dog food that the vet recommended me to give her and that is Purina Puppy Chow or Science Diet Puppy (small bite) and the veterinary even told me to give her Gerber meat stick that you would give to a toddler when you on the go. I got her when she was six weeks old and now she is seven weeks now so I had her for about a week now. Every since I got her she been like she is getting sick on me. I took her to the Vet 7/2/12 and that was her first exam and it cost me $110.00 then, I back doe and had to take her back that following Friday because she didn't want to eat her food and she was running a high fever the vet exam her again and then, they gave her two more shots and keep her over night and I came to pick her up that Saturday morning before noon. I went to pick her up and that cost me $147.00. Now her eyes is swollen up and itchy. So what do you think I should do? I call the vet today and he told me to give her some Benadryl for allergy. So I'm trying not to have to keep taking her to the vet because I think they is just out for the money. And not getting my puppy well at all they just making it to a point that I have to keep bring in and spending money. If you have any advise please let me know if that vet knows what he is talking about. Because she is under weight she weight only 7lb 5oz and I know that she should be bigger then that at her age. What would you recommend to give her as food wise and for her allergy? What you think will help her gain some weight because if you have a personal email and you don't mind giving it to me I will send you several picture of her so that you could see how under weight she really is. I'm asking you for your help please if you don't mind helping me but that is the information that that vet gave to me to give my puppy. I don't want anything to happen to my puppy but the way it going it like she is getting down to her last stage and I'm trying to do all that I can for her. Yes, I even put hot water on her food to softing it up and she eating that but the only food that I have is that Purina Puppy Chow at this time, because I don't know what other food will be best for her to gain her weight back. PLEASE HELP ME WITH YOUR ADVICE IF YOU CAN. I have attached a couple picture of my puppy so that you could see her. I hope you will be able to help me to help her.
    Attached Images

Jul 10, 2012, 05:58 PM
    This is a couple picture of her her face. Help me please I begging you for you help and advice to better my puppy.
    Attached Images

Pets Expert

Jul 10, 2012, 05:58 PM
    She doesn't look underweight to me. She's got a nice chubby belly, which a puppy should have. But, I can only go by the pictures. Remember, she's only 7 weeks old, 7 lbs isn't that small for a very young pup.

Personally, I'd go to a different vet. The fact that this vet recommended Purina puppy chow to a dog he said was underweight, or fish sticks, is reason enough to get a different vet. But that's just my opinion.

Sadly, there's nothing I can do. I'm not a vet, and even if I were, I can't give you a diagnosis online.

If she's eating her food now that you've started watering it down, then see how it goes. I'd be hesitant to change food right now since she seems to be going through so many medical issues.

Sadly, puppies can have health problems. Most of these are likely due to the care she received before you got her. I can tell you that anyone that would sell a puppy at 6 weeks, is not a good breeder. In fact, he/she isn't even a breeder, they're the worst of the worst, which means that your puppy has a very rough start to this life. She didn't get the proper care since birth, or before. I can say that with certainty.

Go to a different vet. Keep feeding the puppy chow until she's healthy enough to switch foods, then try IAMS, or a vet recommended food.

I wish I could do more, but I really can't. It's up to you.

I wish you all the best, and your sweet baby too.
    LadySam Posts: 1,589, Reputation: 322
    Cats Expert

Jul 10, 2012, 06:03 PM
    Your posts are pretty confusing to me, but I will try to state again just as Alty has Purina Puppy is pretty much junk.
    Science Diet is the puppy food that I raised all my dogs on until time to switched them to adult food.
    Iams is also a widely recommended food.
    Albon is to kill coccidia, I think it also kills some of the other intestinal parasites, but I will have to double check that.
    Has your puppy been dewormed? She honestly just looks a little pot bellied to me.
    It's hard to see in the pictures, but I don't see ribs.
    The bottom line is, and I say this because I don't what you vet has done only what you are saying here.
    If your pup had coccidia and is now recovering from that, then the weight gain should be slow and steady, not to mention the fact that overfeeding a puppy will cause bone and joint malformations.
    So my best suggestions would be to get a good quality puppy food, and follow the feeding instructions on the bag for her size.
    If you try to push her too hard into gaining weight you will do her more harm than good.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Best cheap dry food to make pitbull gain weight? [ 3 Answers ]

9 yr old female pitbull needs gain weight what is best cheapest dog food I should feed her

I have a 5 yr old pitbull who won't gain weight. [ 4 Answers ]

She's been vet checked, no worms, she's active, eats well, but she is very skinny. She gets two cups of dry food and a can of wet food with it twice a day. I've tried different foods with her but nothing has worked. Eukanuba, canidae, etc. I've given her ground beef with rice three times a week...

My pitbull pup needs to gain weight how? [ 6 Answers ]

My pit bull puppy is about 8 months old now and hasn't gained weight in the last month an d and 1/2 I am very concerned cause she should be pretty stacked being a pit but she is petite which is fine my concern is that I can see her back bone and ribs... don't get me wrong I love my dog and I feed...

Pitbull won't gain weight! Ribs show! [ 14 Answers ]

I have 2 pitbulls, a male (Tyson- almost 2 years old) & a female (Sasha- about 2 1/2 yrs old)... The female brindle is a very healthy weight! Actually, my dogs bred & had 11 puppies their first litter & all the puppies lived w/ no complications (and the male was under a year old)!! But the problem...

How to help a pitbull gain weight back? [ 4 Answers ]

I have a pitbull which was left in the back yard of an abandon house, how do I help it gain it's weight back to it's initial size? Her ribs are showing and everything, she's a banter pitbull. Could someone quickly reply?:confused:

View more questions Search