Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    H. Bunch Posts: 18, Reputation: 1

Mar 22, 2006, 06:43 AM
    Fluorescent bulb in flush mount "spots"
    We have flush mount ceiling fixtures that each have two cylinder "spots". They are made by Hampton Bay and call for 60-watt type R bulbs. We like to put fluorescent bulbs in them (to save energy) but we get a funny smell when we do this. So, the question is: Can we use regular 60-watt bulbs or fluorescent bulbs (20 watt) in these fixtures? Or, do we have to stick with the 60-watt Type R bulbs?
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Mar 22, 2006, 12:57 PM
    I see no problem with using the CF lamps. The fixture is rated to handle 60 watt incandescent lamp, due to the heat from this lamp. A 20 watt CF lamp should not create as much heat as a incandescent lamp.

The odor must be from the plastic or the adhesives of the CF lamp, which does still create heat. I would not be too concerned with the odor, assuming the odor dissipates after a while. Even if the CF lamp was used in a table lamp you should still get the odor for a while.

Mar 23, 2006, 05:17 AM
    So, does this mean that, as long as you stay below the wattage listed, you can substitute CF and regular light bulbs for Type R bulbs? I would think the heat given off for a Type R would be higher than the other two, yes?
    Uber Member

Mar 23, 2006, 01:02 PM
    The fixture cannot handle more than 60 watts of incandescent lamp, either A or R lamp.

R lamps actually allow a bit less heat in the fixture due to the reflector.

By the way, if you use a CF lamp, will you be using reflector type? Otherwise, the lighting effct will not be the same as using a incandescent R lamp.

Get back to me with the fixture and trim model number, alnog with the part number of the CF lamp you plan to use.

Mar 24, 2006, 04:48 AM
    Wow! I really appreciate the thoroughness of your responses!

The fixture is a Hampton Bay 2 Lights Ceiling Cylinder, model 657-690. The CFbulb that we have tried that smells is the MicroMax Spiral (20 watt). We have used a type of CF that have a long, skinny shape, with two straight loops (instead of spirals). The long skinny ones work well, after a few minutes while they get up to brightness.

We can use the Type R bulbs in the fixtures. I didn't realize that they gave off less heat than regular incandescent bulbs of the same wattage. One of the problems with the Type R bulbs is that it is hard to get your fingers around them when you need to change the bulb!
    Uber Member

Mar 24, 2006, 08:38 AM
    Well Hampton Bay and Home Depot chose not to make the specs of these fixtures available on the net.

Using a CF lamp should not be any problem thou. Again, using a CF lamp will not produce the same effect as a reflector lamp, as a compact flourscent lamp is considered a linear source and an incandescent lamp is considered a point source. The reflector will "push' the light out of the fixture, and most of the light output of a CF lamp will stay in the fixture, maybe only 20 % of the light will come out of the fixture.

Finding reflector CF lamps may help with the light distribution.
    ceilingfanrepair Posts: 5,733, Reputation: 109
    Uber Member

Mar 28, 2006, 10:29 AM
    Most CF bulbs are not designed to be used in mostly enclosed fixtures. While the bulb itslef does not get very hot, the ballast has quite a lot of heat to dissapate (I can't spell that) and if the fixture is enclosed on the top up in the ceiling, the heat has no way to get out. This leads to the ballast and therefore the bulb wearing out prematurely. I still do this, as do plenty of others, but your CF bulbs may not last as long as they would in other fixtures.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Fan Blower not working in "ON" or "AUTO" in heat or AC [ 13 Answers ]

Got home from the Brewer game this afternoon and noticed the house was warm(78). Outside was 91. I checked the T-stat and it was set correct. Noticed the air vents weren't blowing anything. Went outside and the condenser and fan was running fine. Then I went downstairs to the furnace unit to see...

Who did this song: from the 80's, probably called "typical" or "that's typical" [ 2 Answers ]

Some lyrics as I hear them: Windowsill, my elbow's numb As I heard the door go and saw your car As it glides onto the road Double wasted dumbness Sodding off and I can't hear you go And that's typical There you sit in the driving seat

Replacing Aquarium Fluorescent Bulb? [ 1 Answers ]

I know that over time the power spectrum of a fluorescent light changes. You start to lose the shorter wavelengths (UV, blue) as the phosphors wear out. I also know that plants need those shorter wavelengths to be happy in an aquarium. So, my question is, how often should I replace the...

View more questions Search