Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mclellandrd Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 17, 2009, 03:07 PM
    Heil air conditioner issues.
    Hi, I'm hoping someone reads over this and can help me with an issue I am having. My central air conditioner unit isn't cooling as well as it used to. It does OK at night, but when the sun is out and it's hot, it doesn't cool as well. The unit is a Heil, I don't know the exact model, but it's about 10 years old. I cleaned the coils on the outside unit with a hose and they are clear, no debris at all. Still the house doesn't cool to the temperature I set the thermostat for. The filter in the furnace is brand new. I went outside to the outdoor unit and I put one of the those square box fans in front of it blowing into the outdoor coils. Since I have done this the air coming out of the vents in my house feels about 4 or 5 degrees cooler. But still I have my thermostat set for 21.5 and the temperature of the house won't go passed 22-23C. The air conditioner hasn't turned off. The system is not iced over I've checked dozens of times. The large tube coming from the air conditioner is cold and the smaller one is warm like it's supposed to be. I don't understand what the issue is. The air conditioner has had no problems in the previous years cooling down the house. Someone please help me, I don't want to call in a repair person if it's something I can do/fix myself. :confused:
    mygirlsdad77 Posts: 5,713, Reputation: 339
    Plumbing Expert

Aug 17, 2009, 04:29 PM

Do you have a thermometer you can stick in one of the supply registers. Let us know what the temp of the air coming out is, and what the temp at the return grill is. Also, have you noticed a drop in airflow out of the registers? You said you replaced the filter, but how long was the old filter in the furnace? If filter was neglected for a long period, your coil on top of the furnace may have become plugged, causing low airflow. Usually this will cause ice buildup, but not always. Let me know about the air flow. Lee.
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Aug 17, 2009, 04:34 PM
    If you used the hose and sprayed the coil from the outside in then you did not clean the coil. The coil has to be back flushed from the inside out.

See this link

PLAY slide show

http://www.speedclean.com/Condenser_Needle_In-Use.html
    mclellandrd Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 17, 2009, 04:36 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by mygirlsdad77 View Post
    Do you have a thermometer you can stick in one of the supply registers. Let us know what the temp of the air coming out is, and what the temp at the return grill is. Also, have you noticed a drop in airflow out of the registers? You said you replaced the filter, but how long was the old filter in the furnace? If filter was neglected for a long period of time, your coil on top of the furnace may have become plugged, causing low airflow. Usually this will cause ice buildup, but not always. Let me know about the air flow. Lee.
    The filter in the furnace has been replaced every 3-4 weeks since we moved here in 1999.
    The air coming out of the vents is around 11degrees C and the air going into the return air vents is around 20 degrees C. The air flow coming out of the vents is the same as it's always been, fairly strong.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Heil 5000 High Efficiency air-conditioner will not cool. [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, Florida summers at 95-degrees are terrible, especially when your air-conditioner stops working in the middle of it. :mad: Here are the symptoms: - It's connected to a gas line. The heat works well, but when the cooling is turned on it blows out room-temperature air. - The fan on...

Air conditioner issues [ 7 Answers ]

Hi, My central air conditioning unit in a single family home is not working. When I switch on Cool in thermostat, outside fan does not work, but I still get very little cool air from the vents. Is there a way to switch on the outside fan?/

Dual pack heater air conditioner( heil) [ 2 Answers ]

I have replaced circuit board,and smart valve on a heil dual pack heater and air condtioner unit, thermostat also new but my heater just keeps running I have to shut off breaker to unit to start and stop,had new circuit board tested and they say its working fine,anyone have any other ideas.. model...

Air Conditioner Issues. [ 1 Answers ]

I lowered my thermostat and my air conditioning unit is not kicking in... it just blows warm/cool air from the vents inside the house, however outside I've noticed that the fan on the air conditioning unit is not blowing. Can you please advise...

View more questions Search