Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    GRAMMY C Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 15, 2009, 03:59 PM
    Rights for unmarried parent when the other parent wants to move out of state.
    Hello.
    I am worried about my grandson.
    His mother is thinking about moving to WYOMING!
    My son and she are not married and I would like to know what his rights are.
    Can she just pick up and move?
    Can we as grandparents so anything to prevent her from moving somewhere that we cannot see our grandson?
    My son is very upset about this.
    They did sign papers when the baby was born recognizing my son as the father.
    He pays child support and sees the baby very often.
    We need to make sure that my son and the grandparents aren't left out in the cold!
    Please--can someone give us some good advice?
    Thank you.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

May 15, 2009, 04:44 PM

If there is a acknowledged paternity and ordered support there is also a custody order.

What does the custody order say?

The next question could be why is she moving? I am seeing these requests granted due to the economy (job transfers, better job opportunities).

If he wants to stop her he needs to take the original order - if it allows such a move - back to Court and request that the Court review the proposed move and either allow or not allow it.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

May 15, 2009, 06:19 PM

In addition to the custody and support orders did the court grant your son any visitation?

Depending on the wording of the custody and visitation will depend on what can happen here. If moving will prevent the father from exercising his vistation rights it may be possible to block the move.

You as grandparents have no standi ng here. Your son has to go to court to formalize visitation and custody.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

May 15, 2009, 06:34 PM

Hello G:

I have the sneaking suspician that they didn't get a court order, they just signed papers...

Your son needs to hire a lawyer and go to court to secure his rights. If he does, he can stop her from moving.

excon
    GV70 Posts: 2,918, Reputation: 283
    Family Law Expert

May 17, 2009, 04:35 AM

Quote Originally Posted by GRAMMY C View Post
    Can she just pick up and move?
    Yes,if there is no a custody order

Quote Originally Posted by GRAMMY C View Post
    Can we as grandparents so anything to prevent her from moving somewhere that we cannot see our grandson?
    No!
    I agree with excon and scott... but it is possible the court to permit her move away

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Unwed parent of two wants to move out of state [ 9 Answers ]

I live with the father of my two children in Illinois. We are not married, but have made a lot of big purchases together including a house for our kids. I am originally from Texas and moved to Illinois to be with the father of my children before our first child was born. Things have gone...

Unmarried Mother Rights to move out of State [ 13 Answers ]

I am a California Resident and have a 14 month old son who was born and is being raised with me in California. I currently live with my boyfriend who is also the father of my son. The relationship is not a good place for me and I have been very unhappy for over a year. I pay for half of our rent,...

Can custodial parent move out of state [ 1 Answers ]

I have primary custody of my children, their father has seen them only one weekend in the past two months. Can I move out of state, or am I bound to stay in the state I am in?

View more questions Search