ICON300 Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Feb 13, 2008, 04:43 PM
    Baltimore Cop vs. 14yr old
    Is this cop wrong?

YouTube - Baltimore Cop vs Skater
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 13, 2008, 04:50 PM
    A very disrespectful teen, his parents should have been teaching him yes sir and no sir years earlier. I ran in to dozens like them with little respect for adults. I collected my share of skate boards when they were doint it in areas posted not to.

Feb 13, 2008, 05:10 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck
    A very disrespectful teen, his parents should have been teaching him yes sir and no sir years earlier. I ran in to dozens like them with little respect for adults. I collected my share of skate boards when they were doint it in areas posted not to.
    Well, maybe you're being sarcastic, in which case your post is hilarious, but if you're being serious... I've got some issues with the this vid.

I agree that kids/people in general need to have the street smarts to recognize bad situations and respect others in public, but I really don't want to live in some society where I need to walk around in a constant state of "fear." And I really don't see how being subservient to someone is what defines anyone as a "man."

I know there's probably another world out there on the streets where you do have to be scared, and hold your tongue if you want to get by, but that isn't how it's supposed to be.

+1. Simply putting the kid in cuffs for a while when he was mouthing off or having him call his mother first would have been more than sufficient.

Every time I start to think cops may be all right something like this comes along to remind me why I loathe a good number of these bullies with badges. "Lick my boot heel kid". F you, f your mother, and I'm going to poop on your Go-Kart of Justice.

Christ it's like George Costanza with a power scooter and a badge. I'd have told the cop to eat my c*** but judging by the looks of him he would have taken it as an invitation.

Seems to be a lot of this stuff going around lately in this country. Cops are beginning to think they are somehow on some level above the citizens they serve. They think they can bully anybody, or taser anybody, at will. Maybe they would get a little more respect if they gave a little more respect. If you ask me, this kind of crap is just another consequence of the war on drugs. That is what caused police to become more militarized and created an "us and them" psychology among police forces. Hopefully, this kid's family gets a good lawyer and reams this police department, because that's the only way they'll get the message.

There's a reason his superiors put him on parking duty. They know he's a loser but his union won't let him be fired outright so he keeps his badge and writes parking tickets. He saw his chance to be John McClane and took it. He's a douchebag, the kid needs a couple more beatings to be sure, but not the cop's job. Cite him, arrest him, charge him, talk to him, all avenues of action available. Accosting the kid and taking away his skateboard to make some vague point about who's in charge is not one of those avenues.
    AKaeTrue Posts: 1,599, Reputation: 272
    Ultra Member

Feb 13, 2008, 05:29 PM
    In my opinion, the cop was over reacting and abusing his authority.
    He demonstrated unnecessary force, loss of temper,
    And used poor choice of words during his threats and while belittling that youngster.
    He was acting more irate and out of line than the kid was.
    Obviously he was having a bad day, but that's no excuse.
    He probably just caused this young boy to lose all respect for any and every cop...
    What the kid was doing doesn't justify the cops bad behavior.
    Expert

Feb 13, 2008, 05:37 PM
    Well I have seen stair rails destoyed by skate boards, even stone benches where they did great damage, one went though a several 100 dollar window. I have seen parents drop kids off at closed public buildings where there were signs no skating and see no issue with it.

And when a police officer just tells them the first time to be quiet ( or shut up) and they start getting mouthy, many officers feel they need to teach them a lesson ( since obviously their parents never did)

But not sure where the parking officer came from, ( perhaps it was in there and I missed it) but there are park police, and those assigned to parking or parking lots because of their health

And of course we took their skate boards and held them at the station if the police wanted to come and get a lecture about properly watching their kids. In addition, most likely the kid would have gotten a warning of some type, depending on where it was,

Hopefully this will take a smart reared kid and perhaps show them that there can be fear if there is not respect. This is to me an obvoius case where parents did a poor job raising a kid, teaching him no respect of authorities and adults.

But holding a skate board is acutally normal standard procdure, I bet most departments have 100's of them in some store room somewhere.

Feb 13, 2008, 05:38 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by AKaeTrue
    In my opinion, the cop was over reacting and abusing his authority.
    He demonstrated unnecessary force, loss of temper,
    and used poor choice of words during his threats and while belittling that youngster.
    He was acting more irate and out of line than the kid was.
    Obviously he was having a bad day, but thats no excuse.
    He probably just caused this young boy to lose all respect for any and every cop...
    What the kid was doing doesn't justify the cops bad behavior.
    Bingo... click link.. >YouTube - baltimore cop vs skateboarders.. news cast in Arizona!!

Feb 13, 2008, 05:40 PM
    Physical punishment discourages learning, and encourages retaliation toward the parent and society in general because the abused person often rejects the societal values of the punishing parent; it produces behavioral variability since it does not identify the "desired" behaviors so it rarely produces the behavior the punisher is looking for. Finally, it produces a delayed-action affect, and this lag is critical in masking the relationship between the punishment and later aggression. Since the fear caused by the punishment tends to inhibit immediate aggressive behavior, the punishment experience is now in the distant past by the time the fear has subsided and anger can now be released. Because of this time lag, the anger engendered by the punishment is not readily perceived to be related to the long-gone punishment situation. That is, learning a connection between one event and the next requires proximity between the two. Therefore, neither the user of corporal punishment, nor the recipient of corporal punishment realize that the punishment is the sleeper fuel that is slowly building up aggression in the recipient of the abuse.
    terellowens Posts: 123, Reputation: 9

Feb 13, 2008, 05:40 PM
    Cop Dumps Handicapped Person on Floor Video even worse

Feb 13, 2008, 05:48 PM
    well I have seen stair rails destoyed by skate boards, even stone benches where they did great damage, one went though a several 100 dollar window. I have seen parents drop kids off at closed public buildings where there were signs no skating and see no issue with it.

And when a police officer just tells them the first time to be quiet ( or shut up) and they start getting mouthy, many officers feel they need to teach them a lesson ( since obviously thier parents never did)

But not sure where the parking officer came from, ( perhaps it was in there and I missed it) but there are park police, and those assigned to parking or parking lots because of thier health

And of course we took thier skate boards and held them at the station if the police wanted to come and get a lecture about properly watching thier kids. In addition, most likely the kid would have gotten a warning of some type, depending on where it was,

Hopefully this wil take a smart reared kid and perhaps show them that there can be fear if there is not respect. This is to me an obvoius case where parents did a poor job raising a kid, teaching him no respect of authorities and adults.

But holding a skate board is acutally normal standard procdure, I bet most departments have 100's of them in some store room somewhere.
    What, exactly, did this kid do to deserve being assaulted? (yes, this could be viewed as assault)

And it's cool to talk **** when someone's not around, but if they do hear you they have free right to whoop your ?

He failed to call him "master"!

I can see where he may hate kids riding where their not suppose too.

But, you have to show better judgement and not strong arm little kids.

I see and hear this type of prejudice exists more often than not. I especially "love" the "punk" references. I personally know several kids his age who are skateboarders but are also on the honor roll at school. So, we must keep in mind to not judge a book by it's cover.

NEWSFLASH: It's not his job nor his right to teach the kid anything!

Feb 13, 2008, 05:51 PM
    What one does not see of couirse is why the police stopped the kids, what damage did they do, what other citizens were harassed by them.
    And what force? Perhaps bad choice for yelling, but if he ordered the child to give him the skate board and the child refused, he should have taken it,and then his only mistake was not putting his handcuffs on the kid. At that point, the kid woul normally go to lock up to wait on the parents, but we also don't know, they may have had insturctions from supervisors to just scare them, or to mess with them some because of trouble they were causing in the past. Often we were asked not to arrest them ( being nice) but to make sure we were mean enough to chase them away from certain areas. This is what I see, since this was done almost daily in our old department.
    Expert

Feb 13, 2008, 05:54 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by terellowens
    This is wrong, of course this was a jailer in the intake at the jail, not a police officer. But then that does not make the news people a lot of difference.

Feb 13, 2008, 05:57 PM
    What one does not see of couirse is why the police stoped the kids, what damage did they do, what other citizens were harrassed by them.
    And what force ?? perhaps bad choice for yelling, but if he ordered the child to give him the skate board and the child refused, he should have taken it,and then his only mistake was not putting his handcuffs on the kid. At that point, the kid woul normally go to lock up to wait on the parents, but we also don't know, they may have had insturctions from supervisors to just scare them, or to mess with them some becuse of trouble they were causing in the past. Often we were asked not to arrest them ( being nice) but to make sure we were mean enough to chase them away from certain areas. This is what I see, since this was done almost daily in our old department.
    YouTube - baltimore cop vs skateboarders.. news cast in Arizona!!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Baltimore ,MD [ 1 Answers ]

I am planning my wedding and I wanted to know if anyone could give me some ideas on where I can find a place that does the wedding and the reception in the same place but not in the same room ? And that is not too expensive. Also, what is the best website for a local store in Baltimore that I can...

Baltimore Ravens [ 2 Answers ]

Does anyone know where I can purchase Ravens tickets for November (online) ? I can not find them and If I do come across a site,they are so expensive.

2 part movie, murderer dressed as cop or maybe was cop [ 1 Answers ]

Can't think of the name. Was a two nighter, 4 hours. Murderer had a police uniform on, so people trusted him. Remember a winnebago ( I think) was the getaway for people that had been kidnapped by bad cop. Large mean dogs also, dobermans, I think. Bad guy sort of looked like mean doc on scrubs,...

14yr old runs to my ex when consequenced [ 15 Answers ]

I have a reasonably well behaved daughter but lately every time I try to consequence her she runs to my ex's who is not her biological father and has no legal authority over her. The latest example is this. She had gone out the night before, had very little sleep was really tired and forgot to...

14yr Old Charge Off [ 6 Answers ]

When I was in college I was pretty stupid with $, I loaned a CC out to a boyfriend who charged it to its limit ($800), and it was never paid. That was in 1992. After getting most of my debts paid off, this one dropped off collections... was still on my credit. I lived in a cash only world,...

View more questions Search