Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    paula3859 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 19, 2008, 11:17 AM
    Wedding overseas
    I am hosting a wedding reception here in the US for my daughter and her new husband, who will be living overseas. Because of the huge expense of shipping items overseas, it would be nice if guests knew to bring monetary gifts. Is there any way that I can include this in the invitation?
    Chery Posts: 3,666, Reputation: 698
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

Jan 19, 2008, 11:25 AM
    I'm not Ann Landers, but am a former military wife who had to move overseas a lot.
    The electrical currents and outlets in most other countries differ from those in the US and there are not always built-in kitchens, closets or even standard cabinets under the sinks there.
    If you can find a way to explain this to the guests and respectfully request that they consider these differences and give cash gifts for a good start, I see nothing wrong with that. It's either that, or suggest the new couple store their gifts in the US until they come back.

My best wishes to you and the new couple!

jillianleab Posts: 1,194, Reputation: 279
    Ultra Member

Jan 19, 2008, 11:39 AM
    Don't put it on the invitation. If you want to make sure all guests are aware of this preference, have the bride and groom send out a letter to all guests after the invites go out saying how excited they are, activities to do in the area, hotels (if you have out-of-towners) and work it in there somewhere. If it's a smaller wedding, consider spreading the message by word of mouth.
    LearningAsIGo Posts: 2,653, Reputation: 350
    Survivor

Jan 22, 2008, 09:41 AM
    You have good intentions, but etiquette states you should not put anything about preferred gifts on an invitation. Spread it by word-of-mouth and assume most people will be wise enough to bring checks/money.

If worse comes to worse, the gifts could be quietly returned for money without the giver knowing.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Wedding Plans for court house wedding [ 3 Answers ]

Hi!my name is toya i'm about to get married next month. I only have low income. Of course we are having a court house wedding, but what else can help us out like where to get dress, where to get suite, where to get rings.as well what can we do after wards i plan to have something att my house.so i...

Court House Wedding or Back Yard Wedding? [ 18 Answers ]

We are on a limited budget as far as our wedding goes. We want to spend more money on the rings and honeymoon than the wedding. So, we want something intimate and special but small. So these were the two options that we were thinking: 1. A small ceremony in his parent's backyard. There...

Wedding Attire for 5 P.M. Wedding [ 3 Answers ]

What is the appropriate attire for a middle-age women at a 5 pm wedding and a 6 p.m. reception?

Overseas filing [ 3 Answers ]

If I am living overseas, what is the benefit of filing a NJ state income tax as a "non-resident"? Do I file a state tax return and get all the taxes deducted throughout the year back or can I claim exempt and not pay any state tax at all? Thanks for any help.

View more questions Search