Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    luv2shop416 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 5, 2008, 04:54 PM
    Projectile maximum height
    A cannon fires a shot at an angle of 60 degrees with a velocity of 113m/s. If the cannon is 49 meters above sea level what is the highest hight the cannonball will reach before it hits the water?

I started this problem and found that the time it would take is 20.5 seconds and that the velocity in the y direction is 97.9m/s but I'm stuck on how to find the maximum height (I've only found it when the change in why was zero)
    Credendovidis Posts: 1,593, Reputation: 66
    -

Nov 5, 2008, 06:01 PM
    Hallo !

Just use this link to learn how to solve this problem.

Succes !

:)
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Nov 6, 2008, 12:21 PM

Break the velocity of the canon ball into vertical and horizontal components. You are really only interested in the vertical component, since the question asks nothing about how far the canon ball travels. The initial vertical component of velocity is:

Now use this initial velocity with the equation:

If you set equal to zero, and use and = 113 m/s * sin (60), you can calculate . This is the vertical distance traveled for the canon ball to reach a vertical velocity of 0, which is when it's at the top of its projectory. Don't forget that all this is calculated from a starting point of 49m, so you will need to add that in.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Maximum height [ 2 Answers ]

Hello there, I am suppose to answer this question but I don't know how to go about it. A shrub 20cm tall is planted and in its first years it grow 8cm tall, in the second it grows 4cm more, in the third year it grows 2cm more and so on. What is the maximum height the tree will grow? So far...

Projectile (sort of) [ 1 Answers ]

a test rocket is fired vertically from a well. A catapult gives it initially velocity 80.0 m/s at ground level. Its engines then fires and it accelerates upwards at 4.00m/s ^2 until it reaches 1000m. At this point its engines fail and the rocket goes into free fall with an acceleration of -9.80m/s...

The maximum height of a baseball [ 2 Answers ]

The path of a baseball after it has been hit is modeled by the function: h=-0.0032 d (squared) + d + 3 where h is the height in feet of the baseball and d is the distance in feet the baseball is from homeplate . What is the maximum height reached by the baseball? How far is the baseball...

View more questions Search