Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    AngstyMeierLink Posts: 41, Reputation: 2

Jun 9, 2007, 07:55 PM
    Can Police use gas station to sit in?
    I'm not sure if this is the right place for this question so sorry if its not.

My friend owns a gas station and the police constantly use the parking lot to sit in and monitor traffic. Sometimes they park right in the entrance, hindering people from going in and out correctly (in essence, making them break the law to leave the parking lot). My friend told me today that he has gone out and asked them to leave and they said "get the f*** back in the store". I know they can't be on private property without permission, but is the gas station considered private property? How can this be legal when they are clearly having an adverse effect on his business. They don't do this to any of the other gas stations around, but he is he the only owner of minority descent (spanish). I'm not sure what to tell him to do... All I know to tell him is to make a formal complaint to the staff sergeant, but I don't know if that would help... If they were sitting in the parking lot of my business I wouldn't be too happy about it either.
    mr.yet Posts: 1,725, Reputation: 176
    Ultra Member

Jun 10, 2007, 03:06 AM
    Yes, they police must have permission to be on the property, so they next time they do this, tell them to leave, if they don't call the sheriff office and report a trespasse on the property and you will point them out when the sheriff arrives.
    hotcakesnsyrup Posts: 37, Reputation: 2

Jun 10, 2007, 05:22 AM
    Actually, because it IS a GAS station, it is not private property in terms of driving in, sitting in, parking, stuff like that. He is allowed to park there, however, he Isn't allowed to park where it hinders traffic. What you could tell your friend, is if the cop comes by again, and is blocking traffic, just ask him to move to where he isn't blocking traffic, that's what the sheriff would tell him anyway, and think, if he calls the sheriff on him, then he will look for any reason to get your friend in trouble because he went and called the sheriff's office.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Jun 10, 2007, 07:26 AM
    Hello:

I hate cops. I hate 'em for the very reason you described. They think YOU serve THEM instead of the other way around.

No, they are not allowed to park on private property. I'm just not sure how to get them off. But give me a minute, I'll come up with something.

What you don't want to do is have a confrontation or snitch on them directly. Yes, if cops weren't such pricks, you could do it that way, but if you did, you KNOW they'll retaliate upon you.

(Those of you reading this know the cops will act that way... You should hate 'em too, but as long as you don't, they're going to keep on acting that way.)

Ok, I haven't come up with a way for you report them surreptitiously. Therefore, you're going to have to do it publicly. The more public, the safer you are.

They are breaking the law. Call around your local news scene and find out if there are any reporters in your town who have balls. If you find one, clue him in, and when the cops trespass again, call him.

excon
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

Jun 10, 2007, 07:51 AM
    Does that mean the parking lot of the donut shop will be off limits too?

Seriously, hotcakesnsyrup has the right answer. Now I would think the owner of the gas station has a right to post "no parking" signs in front of his entrances and exits. He needs to do this legal. Does he have an attorney he can talk to about this? Going to the police or sheriff about this is like biting off your own hand.

Jun 10, 2007, 08:03 AM
    Now come on... not all us cops are "evil" as you so describe it, the only reason you hate cops, is probably because you have been arrested. How do you know he wasn't in the middle of an investigation? Even if he was in broad daylight, sometimes, they do that. I'm not say cops aren't "evil". True there are some, that overuse their authority (abuse their power as you may refer to it). That doesn't mean you should take it out on all cops. As I said before, a gas station is NOT private property. Driveways to houses, farm yards, posted wooded areas, these are private property spots. Excon, I hope you reconsider what you put down about police, and other law enforcement, whether it be police officers, peace officers, security officers, FBI, CIA you never know who may be on here, and what they do. Had it been a CIA agent, he/she could possibly come at you directly if they truly wanted to, when someone works with the government that high up, they can do almost anything.
    Lenovo Posts: 180, Reputation: 14

Jun 10, 2007, 08:16 AM
    Hey con, looks like you ticked off the wrong person, LOL. Cakes, I'm sorry but I hate cops too, always have, and I've never been arrested. You're only taking this personally cause apparently it sounds like your a cop. On this site, you can't really let things get to you like that.

Jun 10, 2007, 08:19 AM
    Thanks for all the posts. I think what's happening to my friend is this: This is a small redneck city with very corrupt cops. I'm pretty sure they are trying to run him out of town, since he one of the very few business owners that's not white. This is a very snobby town. They are clearly affecting his business doing what they are doing. I mean, if your not one of the snobbish elite, your afraid of the cops here. Especially if your not white. You don't even have to come close to breaking a law for them to hassle you, and that is scaring people away. My friend has observed a noticeable decline in business since they started doing this. I think they are doing this on purpose to run him out of town. Is there any easy way to make that grounds for harassment? Getting a lawyer isn't really a good route to go (maybe the only one though), because the cost would practically put him out of business right there, and how many people have fought and won against the gov. Idunno... I told him to sell it and start over in the big city. They want arian land they can have it...
    Uber Member

Jun 10, 2007, 08:20 AM
    Hello again, shy:

Even though the cops would have you believe otherwise, in this country, private property rules. The law is clear on the subject. The owner of the store can treat the cops like any other trespasser if they're trespassing - and in this instance - they are.

Those property rights are his. Period. He does not need a sign that says you can't park here if you're not shopping here, in order to secure those rights. Everybody inherently understands that, even a 12 year old, and the cops do too.

I agree with you, however, that when you tug on Superman's cape, he's going to swat you. That's why I think the OP either needs to do something very public involving the press, or he should do nothing.

But, let's call a spade a spade here. The cops in this case are abusing the law and those people whom they are sworn to protect.

excon
    Uber Member

Jun 10, 2007, 08:30 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by hotcakesnsyrup
    Had it been a CIA agent, he/she could possibly come at you directly if they truly wanted to, when someone works with the government that high up, they can do almost anything.
    Hello again, hot:

Couple things. I didn't say cops were evil. I said I hate 'em.

Next. You don't scare me. I'm not a virgin! I've been in your hell holes before. I don't care if you send me to Gitmo. If I've broken the law, and you're a cop - COME GET ME!

But, you're not a cop. Cops know the law, and you have no clue.

excon
    Uber Member

Jun 10, 2007, 08:46 AM
    Hello again, Hot:

No, I'm not done!

I particularly hate cops because they threaten to put people in jail because they don't like what they say. You Sir, did that!

Where the hell do you think you live that you can threaten a citizen like that?? Want to know why I hate cops?? Look in the mirror.

excon

Jun 10, 2007, 08:50 AM
    Hahahahahaha nice excon, sorry cakes, but I have to agree with him.

Jun 10, 2007, 09:05 AM
    Ok, first off- yes, I am a cop, I just enlisted two days ago. Secondly, I never said I was going to come after you. And len, I'm not taking it personally I am simply defending those law enforcement officers who are indeed good.

Jun 10, 2007, 09:10 AM
    Whatever helps you sleep at night.

Jun 10, 2007, 09:50 AM
    I don't think my friend wants to start a public scandal here, he just wants them out of his parking lot. Can the trespassing thing fly? I mean, there's got to be something to prevent cops from doing this kind of garbage. Would putting up signs "Parking for customers only" work? Could the cop just go in, buy a twinkie, and sit in his car for 3 hours then?

Also... I'm not a big fan of the cops either, but I didn't mean for this question to instigate any police bashing (although that CIA remark was pretty thin... ). I'm just looking to help my friend who doesn't know there are things like this available for advice. So I would just like to thank everyone again for their posts and help.
    Squiffy Posts: 499, Reputation: 84

Jun 10, 2007, 10:06 AM
    Trespass is trespass, whoever is doing it. The cops enforce the law, they are not above it, even though many seem to think they are. If your friend owns the gas station, he owns the land and the parking bays and all that goes with it. If he doesn't want the cops to park there, they cant, unless of course they have good and real reason to, but that will probably involve them having to get a warrant to do it. Its not really very likely. But if the cops have it in for him they will do all they can to annoy him, legal or not most likely. Of course not all cops are corrupt, but as they are supposed to uphold the law, having even one corrupt officer will put people on edge, and make people not trust any of them. That's the cops fault not the publics!
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jun 10, 2007, 01:31 PM
    Well ( I do think I had excon on a wanted poster before) but as a retired police office, they can't speak or should not speak to people like that.
    ** you can call and report this to the shift supervisor or the chief of polices department.

Now as for as the car sitting there, I would have to say I was loved by station and store owners who asked and wanted us in the parking lot.
    This normally helped keep crime down in that area.

But you have to remember the land between the road and the store parking lot, ( sidewalk area) is not store property, but street right of way and it is not tresspassing on store property if they are sitting there.
    JoeCanada76 Posts: 6,669, Reputation: 1707
    Uber Member

Jun 10, 2007, 01:52 PM
    I can not stand cops eighter. I would say most of them in my area are corrupt as well.

Small town, knows they will get back up and pushes there authority on innocent people just to make it look like they are doing their job.

I have had a couple really bad cop experiences in the past few years and I have witnesses and proof that I did nothing wrong. Yet I got threatened and have had the car almost damaged by one.

One good experience that I had when I was a young child. In a big city. Taxi cab was supposed to bring me home. He brought me downtown to do some personal business. I do not know how long he was but I asked for strangers help. Sure enough their were two police officers in a car behind me. They took me in there car. Put the police cap on me. Sat on the cops lap and waited for the taxi cab driver.

When the taxi driver came back and sat in the car, I seen the police officer go up to the taxi driver gave him a major lecture and I think even slapped him in the face. Then the officers drove me home.

So for others, yes your right. Not all cops are evil. I would say that the majority of them today are crooked.

I could give plenty of examples but the list would be too long.

For a cop to abuse his authority and harrass the owner of the gas station is NOT right and I would fight it. At the same time they the cops probably know they are going to get back up by their badge no matter what they do. This should not be allowed and I hope these ---holes that are doing this get caught and have to pay a price like getting suspended or even demoted or kicked off the force.

Cops are not above the law.

Joe

Jun 10, 2007, 02:53 PM
    If their intention was to prevent crime there I don't think my friend would mind it at all. But there's no crime there to prevent! Its in the nice part of town. Downtown is where all the crime is. They are not on the sidewalk area, they are right next to the store. I wouldn't be surprised if they have harassed people leaving the store, as I'm pretty sure their intention is to mess with his business. Like, come out with a case a beer, a block later get pulled over and put through the sidewalk shuffle. People are so racist and moronic here that they call him and his family that work there the "rag-heads", they're freakin MEXICANS or latin americans or whatever. I think we can thank good ol' George W. for the mindless assumption that everyone with dark skin who doesn't speak good English is a terrorist. Well between trespassing and harassment I think I can give him the right advice on how to get them to leave him alone. Thanks everyone.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I want to start a gas station at 19 [ 1 Answers ]

I want to start a gas station by my house. Ive found the perfect location.It is next to a strip of land that will be turned into a strip mall soon and I want to take advantage of the situation. The next closest station in either direction is at least a mile and a half away. The land I want to...

Sit stay fetch book [ 10 Answers ]

Hey guys, Have anyone buy this book?is it a scam? Thank you

Gas Station [ 1 Answers ]

How do I go about starting a Gas Station with a business plan & all?

Screenplay: Police Ask for ID [ 2 Answers ]

I'm writing a screenplay. Here's the situation, and the legal question(s) that arise from it. I have a character who is suspected of art theft. He has not been charged. It turns out he is out of town. A police detective, who has come to question him questions a neighbor who lives in the same...

"Messy" lease sit. Please help! [ 6 Answers ]

I rented a room in a sorority house over the summer. Everything was great until the girls moved back in (8). Since then, it has been constant parties until 4:30 am, mind you I get up at 6am for work. I literally cannot sleep at night. Someone used my toothbrush one night, and left it on the sink...

View more questions Search