Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Jskyes Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 29, 2009, 08:27 PM
    Car driven without Oil cap. Won't start.
    Ok First off, I drive a '94 MITSUBISHI Galant.
    A couple of days ago I added some oil to it and was about to go for an oilchange. I guess I forgot to put the cap back on. (I know.. )
    So I drove without it for maybe a week... I was fine until I had to stay home for 2 days and now the car won't start.
    I crank it seems like it's going to start but it isn't.

Now there is oil on the engine and on the inside of the hood which I cleaned but I don't know what to do or where to start.

Why won't it ignite?
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Mar 30, 2009, 06:46 AM

. Clean the oil off everything. Use WD-40 and a rag on the distributor cap, spark plug wires, and coil. You might even want to try brake cleaner. It's possible the spark plug wires are shorting out or the alternator was affected.

. Check all underhood and underdash fuses with a test light or multimeter:

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/cars-t...tml#post252145

. Check for codes.

. Check for spark. Perform the standard spark test; i.e. remove a spark plug wire and attach it to a properly gapped spark plug, touch the plug to a convenient ground, and observe the spark, while someone cranks the engine.

. Check for fuel. Do you hear the fuel pump run, when the ignition switch is turned to ON?

Did you contaminate the oxygen sensor with oil? It's possible the pigtail connector or the sensor became contaminated. Don't try and clean this delicate sensor, at this time.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Car driven without oil cap on [ 8 Answers ]

My son forgot to put the oil cap on my 93 Toyota Celica, and I drove it to work and back (approx 20 miles) before it belched up all the oil. New oil put in, car is holding oil for past 2 days without being driven. Will it be okay to drive and check oil frequently?

Seldom driven cars [ 4 Answers ]

If I only drive car once every other year what should I do with fuel system if I know I am only going to drive car once every other year?

2001 Geo Tracker dies after it's been driven a awhile [ 1 Answers ]

My friend's 2001 Geo Tracker 4 cyl auto runs good but after she drives it for a while and stops , it won't start again until it cools down. It doesn' run hot. And it runs okay while it's running. It just wont's start for a while when she stops for a while. She just had a new fuel filter put on it....

Direct Drive or Belt Driven [ 1 Answers ]

I have a Kenmore 80 Series Washer model #110 20872 990. I need to know if it is belt driven or direct drive,

View more questions Search