Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    paulsju Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 4, 2007, 08:15 AM
    Creating a New Lawn (From woods to grass)
    Just cleared my backyard which was all woods with undergrowth. Trees were removed and undergrowth was mulched very fine. After I had the backyard cleared I had it graded and added new topsoil. I live in NJ and it's the beginning of summer. I have two questions. 1) Is it better to plant grass seeds now to avoid having the topsoil washed away or should I wait until the beginning of the fall which is ideal grass growing conditions?

My second question is. If I wait until the fall to plant grass seeds is there any chemical I could put on the ground now to avoid the undergrowth from growing back?

Any feedback will be greatly be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
    Paul
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jun 4, 2007, 08:21 AM
    Get your grass going now before it gets too hot. If you wait until fall you'll have weeds and brush trying to grow and would need to kill or regrade. Buy a grass known to do well in your area, mix of annual and perrenial. Spread well and rake into the top soils. I'd consider a mulch like straw to hold moisture. Water for sveral minures everyday for a week to 10 days and you should have a start. Keep the new grass moist either by watering or mother nature. A good starter fertilizer would be a good investment too.
    paulsju Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 4, 2007, 09:03 AM
    ballengerb1,

Thanks I had one more question. The grading has been done for about 10 days now. I see the undergrowth sprouting through do I need to put down anything prior to seeding and fertilizing this weekend?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Nuclear holocaust with monsters lurking in nearby woods [ 1 Answers ]

I have been looking for a movie I saw in the early to mid 70's where a group of folks gather at a mansion or house and, I believe, are the sole survivors of a nuclear holocaust; there are pools and lakes nearby and creatures tend to hunt the humans as they go out for walks on the grounds. Can't...

Grass catcher for Lawn Chief [ 1 Answers ]

How do I purchase a grass catcher for my older model Lawn Chief riding mower? It seems to have been made by General Power Equip Co, I cannot find them on the internet. The original store that I purchase the mower says I need to go to a jobber. Any suggestions?

Removing blue grass (Poa annua) from lawn [ 1 Answers ]

Dear Sir, I am working in Saudi Arabia, Riyadh, and I am currently looking more than 100000sq meter lawn (Bermuda grass: Cynodon dactylon). My problem is the weed, Poa annua commonly called blue grass. Can any one suggest me for some specific week killer which kill only the weeds not the...

Two Men In The Woods! [ 1 Answers ]

Please please please help me before i go insane. I watched a film i in what i believe was 2001 but poss before. So i reckon the film was made between 98 and 01. It was a bit like the Blair Witch Project, same set up. Two men go camping in the woods to find a killer beast (i think it was the Taz...

View more questions Search