Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Jenny Jenny Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 17, 2008, 07:46 PM
    Lawn Maintenance Required
    Hello,

My name is Jenny. I have a renter that has been in my single family home since Sep 22 2007. On April 14th 2008, they called to ask when will someone be cutting the grass. Lawn maintenance was not promised or implied to them when they signed the lease. In fact, in the move in letter, I stated "for your convenience, we will refer you to a lawn service company for your lawn maintenance should you choose to purchase it." It also states that they must maintain the property in the same condition that it was delivered to them. It has been 7 months and they are just bringing this up. Do I have to provide lawn maintenance? Or is this just an ammenity. The property is in WV.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 17, 2008, 07:57 PM
    No, if they ask when someone will be cutting the grass, tell them, you don't know, ask them who they hired, nad perhaps they need to call them.

Remind them that if they do not maintain it, you will hire someone and bill them for it. They are trying to get something free from you. They must believe you don't know what you are doing, perhaps you are not an experienced landlord and they can tell.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Apr 18, 2008, 06:18 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenny Jenny
    Hello,

My name is Jenny. I have a renter that has been in my single family home since Sep 22 2007. On April 14th 2008, they called to ask when will someone be cutting the grass. Lawn maintenance was not promised or implied to them when they signed the lease. In fact, in the move in letter, I stated "for your convenience, we will refer you to a lawn service company for your lawn maintenance should you choose to purchase it." It also states that they must maintain the property in the same condition that it was delivered to them. It has been 7 months and they are just bringing this up. Do I have to provide lawn maintenance? Or is this just an ammenity. The property is in WV.

If it isn't your responsibility under the lease, it's not your responsibility. The other part of this is will they let the grass grow up to their knees?

They will be in violation of the lease if they do nothing.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Apr 19, 2008, 06:15 AM
    Hello:

WV?? They probably got old cars on the lawn that the grass is hiding...

excon
    s_cianci Posts: 5,472, Reputation: 760
    Uber Member

Apr 19, 2008, 06:18 AM
    Typically lawn maintenance would be the responsibility of the tenant.
    Uber Member

Apr 19, 2008, 06:22 AM
    Hello again:

I had a landlord who once called me to tell me he was coming over to spray for weeds. I told him to bring the lawnmower and be there every two weeks, because I liked my home to look nice.

I never heard about the lawn anymore.

excon
    Uber Member

Apr 19, 2008, 07:31 AM
    Hello again, Judy:

It's really a matter of who is responsible for lawn care. Either the landlord is or the tenant. It can't be both.

Who would be responsible for a dead lawn if they BOTH were caring for it?

excon
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Apr 19, 2008, 07:40 AM
    You could re-send a copy of the move in letter and highlight the pertinent lawn part to them. This should answer their questions regarding who s responsible for the lawn maintenance. At least I would hope this answers their question!
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Apr 19, 2008, 08:44 AM
    [QUOTE=excon]Hello again, Judy:

It's really a matter of who is responsible for lawn care. Either the landlord is or the tenant. It can't be both.

Who would be responsible for a dead lawn if they BOTH were caring for it?

I think if the lease is silent it's the tenant's expense, same as snowplowing.

Agree, it can't be both. I was referring to reeling from shock when you would ask me when I was coming over with the lawnmower. I'm lucky if I get my OWN lawn mowed!

The other side of this is if the landlord takes responsibility he/she knows the grass has been mowed.

Or chip in and buy a goat or two.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Lawn chief riding lawn mower forward and reverse [ 4 Answers ]

The lawn mower will not go forward or reverse, What should I check to fix this problem?

Lawn and garden lawn mowers honda 3011 [ 2 Answers ]

I Have A Honda 3011 Riding Mower. The Battery Is Charged And When I Engage The Transmission, The Warning Beep Sounds Loudly. When I Turn The Key To Start, There Is No Sound And No Cranking. Any Suggestions To Cure Will Be Appreciated. Thanks.

Lawn and Garden - Push lawn mower [ 1 Answers ]

I put a new blad on my craftsman push mower but it is vibrating roughly. Do you have a diagram of how the blade should go on? Is it washer, blade, washer, bolt or blade, washer, washer, bolt, etc?

Maintenance Required indicator will not turn off [ 0 Answers ]

I have a 2004 Honda Civic EX. Like all new cars, the maintenance required indicator on the dash lights up at set intervals, but it can easily be turned off by following the instructions in the manual: Turn the car off, hold in the reset button, then turn the ignition to ON. I have done this many...

View more questions Search