Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jsksingh88 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 7, 2012, 02:13 PM
    F1 student on 1099 as independent contractor
    I just realized that I have been hired as an Independent contractor(1 week in). Though I am on my CPT period, I know it messes up my F1 status. I want to know how it will effect the follows if I continue.
    1. Tax returns
    2. Future attempt to get an h1
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Jul 9, 2012, 12:10 PM
    Working as an independent contractor while on a F-1 visa IS a technical violation of the visa, but it is NOT your violation; it is a violation on the part of the employer.

However, NO ONE CARES!

The IRS does not care because the income taxes collected are the same. You will have to file Schedule C with Form 1040NR, but the tax rate remains the same, since NO self-employment taxes are due from a F visa holder.

The USCIS theoretically should care, but they have limited manpower and resources, and this violation HURTS NO ONE and actually may result in you pay slightly less in taxes because you can deduct some of your work expenses on the Schedule C, resulting in a LOWER net tax due.

Finally, it will have NO adverse effect on your H-1B application, because the USCIS knows you had no part in the decision-making process as to how you would employed while on OPT.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I Work for An Independent Contractor, Will I get a 1099 or a W-2? [ 3 Answers ]

My friend got her license to be an independent contractor and she hired me as her helper, she's very professional and paid me by using her business check every month last year but she never deducted anything for any kind of taxes. Will she need to pay taxes for medicare and ss and what form will I...

New independent contractor getting paid on 1099 [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I got laid off in January. In March, I got a temporary job working as a contractor for 3 months. I will be making around $10k during this period. Can I invest all in Self Employed 401k so I don't have to pay any taxes? If I invest all the money in Self Employed 401k then Do I have to pay SS and...

1099 independent contractor / student loan garnishment [ 1 Answers ]

I am a 1099 independent contractor in Arizona and one of the companies I sometimes do work for just received a notice to garnish my "wages" due to unpaid student loans. As a full 1099, I am responsible for paying my own withholdings such as the taxes, ss, etc... I do not receive weekly,...

Independent contractor if F-1, no 1099 [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I am an F-1 student on OPT. I worked part-time for several companies over the past year, and I received forms (1099-Misc, 1042-s) from a couple of them. I also worked as a tutor (literacy, reading) for a couple of families. There was no discussion about taxes in the beginning, and they...

View more questions Search