Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    galla15 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Oct 19, 2008, 08:17 PM
    Very Ill Cat any recommendations
    My sister has a cat that is 10 years old. She has been an indoor cat ONLY.

The cat stopped eating and barely drank anything for 3 days. She has also vomitted what little she did eat.

The cat has been brought to the vets and they did an x-ray. They found crystals in the bladder but according to the vet nothing significant. They didn't think the size of the crystals would be the cause of any of the symptoms.

She had complete blood work done with everything coming back normal. In the cats urine was huge amounts of red blood cells but NO bacteria or indications of urinary tract infections.

There is some tenderness over one of her kidneys. Otherwise everything is normal.
    They have considered kidney issues, but swear they have never seen a cat not eat over stones or infection..
    They have considered pancreatitis but the blood test for that has to go to Texas apparently and we are in Maryland so we won't have an answer on that any time soon.

The cat has now been admitted for the last 2 nights, given an IV and medication to calm her stomach, and some sort of medication to increase the appetitie. For 2 days now the cat has had all these treatments and still it will NOT eat.

Tonight they were forced to put a feeding tube in. She is tolerating all of this well but still will not sniff or look at food. Also, she is lethargic.

Please, if you have experience with cats and illnesses... what could this be and what treatment could be done.. or test that hasn't been done that could be done.

The cat is getting worse by the day so any help is appreciated it.

Thanks.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Oct 19, 2008, 08:56 PM

If the vets treating her can't figure it out, how could I, a stranger in Chicagoland, figure it out? I've had no similar experience with any of the cats in my life, and I really feel bad for both of you.

If she were my cat, rather than put her through more and more procedures that go nowhere and don't help her, I would euthanize her. It would break my heart, but I shouldn't keep her alive for my sake. I would want to do what's best for her.

Oct 19, 2008, 09:07 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl View Post
    If the vets treating her can't figure it out, how could I, a stranger in Chicagoland, figure it out? I've had no similar experience with any of the cats in my life, and I really feel bad for both of you.

If she were my cat, rather than put her through more and more procedures that go nowhere and don't help her, I would euthanize her. It would break my heart, but I shouldn't keep her alive for my sake. I would want to do what's best for her.
    Well I was hoping any stranger whether in chicago or not... who has veterinarian experience may have insight. I mean I am desperate. I was hoping for someone with a similar experience or a vet could shed a little light.

The cat by all accounts is still young, most of the cats I have had in my life lived 20 years, even more. This cat is only 10.
    I am not keeping the cat alive for my sake... it is actually my sisters cat and I am only trying to help her. It isn't my decision or anyone else's as to whether it is time to call it quits. I try not to put my feelings and judgements onto her, she is an adult and she is ultimately responsible not me.

I just want to support her as best as I can through this time and I thought I might be able to find someone with a similar experience, or vet who would think of something. Then I could share this with her :)

Thanks.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Oct 19, 2008, 10:22 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by galla15 View Post
    Well I was hoping any stranger whether in chicago or not... who has veterinarian experience may have insight. I mean I am desperate. I was hoping for someone with a similar experience or a vet could shed a little light.
    I can only imagine how frustrating this is for you and your sister. I hope someone who knows a lot about cat health sees this and will give you a suggestion or two.

Please keep us up to date.
    linnealand Posts: 1,088, Reputation: 216
    Ultra Member

Oct 25, 2008, 04:33 AM

Has a dental issue been seriously considered? You would be amazed at the kinds of problems that can arise from an infection based in the teeth. The age would fit, as would many of the other symptoms you expressed.

Oct 25, 2008, 03:27 PM

Thanks for your response. Apparently they have considered that :(
    Last night out of the blue the cat became very fiesty. She pulled her feeding tube out and got up to her food bowl and ate!
    She hasn't been sick since that, and has eaten a couple more times. So they are releasing the cat back to my sister in the next hour.

They ran a test for pancreatitis and that was negative. They did an ultrasound and that turned up nothing. Basically nothing major came up on exam.

They are saying that when cats don't eat for a length of time, and become hydrated that apparently they can't start to eat again? So they had given her fluids, and a feeding tube to help pump her back up and now she is better.

So the theory at this point since they couldn't find anything else is that the cat was just dehydrated, and was low on certain vitamins. She must have eaten something bad to start this or had a virus.

WHO KNOWS. It is great that she is better, but we have to wonder will she stay better since we truly don't know what started this whole mess.

THANKS again for responding.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Recommendations of Books [ 2 Answers ]

Can you tell me some good 8th grade books?

Sub Panel Recommendations? [ 4 Answers ]

I currently have a 200amp main breaker panel located in my garage. From the garage to the house is a buried line that feeds a 60amp fuse subpanel. I am going to upgrade the subpanel in my house and need a little advice. First of all What size panel should I put in? 100 - 125 - 150? The 60...

Recommendations on food [ 2 Answers ]

My lab has grown up on Eukanoba (spelling?), but for the last few months he has refused to eat it. I tried mixing it with other food such as Kibble and Bits, but then he just spits out the Eukanoba or just won't eat. So can anyone recommend other high quality dog food since some people say Kibble...

I need insect referances... Any recommendations?! [ 1 Answers ]

At work last night, my co-worker and I noticed a very large and intersting insect. It was well out of reach, prehaps 14-17' above our heads, but in a lighted area. It was resting, like it was diurnal (is that a word... like it was a day creature). It seemed sluggish and unresponsive to...

View more questions Search