Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    SubriziGirl Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jul 26, 2008, 12:36 AM
    Have judgement against tenant. How do I garnish wages to collect?
    I live in Atlanta, GA. I won judgement against a tenant 2 weeks ago (in Fulton County Magistrate Court) for non-payment of rent. He left no forwarding address and I don't know where he works. How do I go about garnishing his wages to collect? Any suggestions for wage garnishment or alternative collection methods would be greatly appreciated.
    George_1950 Posts: 3,099, Reputation: 236
    Ultra Member

Jul 26, 2008, 06:25 AM
    Do you mean he left no forwarding address with the post office? Can you send him a letter, "Service Correction Requested", and get a forwarding address? Here's a link on garnishment; just click on Georgia. Garnishment Laws and Procedures listed by State
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jul 26, 2008, 07:24 AM
    This is the hard part if you don't know where he lives, don't know where he works.

On the rental application where did he use to work, is he still there ?
    If not have you called where he used to work and ask if they know where he went?

But this is the hard part, finding him to serve him with papers or to find where he works to garnish them.
    In general you hire a PI to find it.
    progunr Posts: 1,971, Reputation: 288
    Ultra Member

Jul 26, 2008, 07:30 AM
    You can no longer obtain forwarding addresses from the post office at all.

Without being in law enforcement or a licensed private detective, the public no longer gets access to this information.

Fr_Chuck put you on the correct track, going to previous employer, not just calling, and asking everyone you can have a conversation with if they knew them, or knew of anyone who knew them. You have to do your own digging or you have to hire someone to do it for you.

I would stay away from the web sites that promise to locate people for a fee, unless they offer "no locate-no fee".

Good Luck

[edited to add afterthought]

Much of the problems you run into later down the road, can be solved in the initial application process if you obtain good information. Does your rental application contain things like previous addresses, personal references, and vehicle information such as type, license plate number and insurance agent or company? This information can be critical in your situation. If you require good references, family and friends, you often can locate people with this additional information. Some of my most difficult skips, have been located after only a couple of calls to a grandparent.
    rockinmommy Posts: 1,123, Reputation: 82
    Ultra Member

Jul 27, 2008, 02:27 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by SubriziGirl
    I live in Atlanta, GA. I won judgement against a tenant 2 weeks ago (in Fulton County Magistrate Court) for non-payment of rent. He left no forwarding address and I don't know where he works. How do I go about garnishing his wages to collect? Any suggestions for wage garnishment or alternative collection methods would be greatly appreciated.
    I agree with the prev. posters.

Also, make sure that you get an abstract of judgement (from the court that issued the judgement). At least that's what it's called where I'm located. You then take that Abstract and file it in the county. Well, in any county, really. Anywhere where you think the person might live now, or ever. (If they have family somewhere, for instance.) This does a couple of things. It will get picked up by the credit bureaus this way. (Without specifically filing the judgement it won't go on there.) Also, if the person ever does own property in those counties the judgement will get attched to that property and/or it my prevent them from getting the credit to buy property without clearing the judgement.

Good luck!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Garnish wages [ 2 Answers ]

Can a credit card company card companies garnish wages.

The right to garnish wages [ 6 Answers ]

I have a judgement against me from a previous landlord, when I was first contacted by the collections agency who now holds the account 8 months ago I responded with a willingness to work out a payment plan. I never heard back from the agency until today 8 months later and they are demanding that...

Can They take my new home or garnish my wages? [ 12 Answers ]

Hello, I'm new to this so bare with me. I am desperate, and have been doing a lot of research on my own to try and come up with the correct answers and I'm only more confused. I need someone that knows the laws and can give me an answer on some of my questions. My husband and I own a home in...

Can creditors garnish wages in TX [ 3 Answers ]

I would like to know if creditors can garnish wages in the state of TX.

Maryland Judgement - How do I garnish wages [ 2 Answers ]

I have a Maryland Court Judgement against an individual, I have found where he works, how can I garnish his wages, without incurring in a big cost? Please help,

View more questions Search