Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    vcsparkkplug Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 18, 2006, 06:42 PM
    90 Honda 1.5 won't stay running more then 5 miles.. have to wait 24hrs before starting
    I Have a 1990 Honda civic LX 1.5 duel injection. I been trying to trouble shoot for 3 months now.. It started intermittently dying and would always restart. Ive replaced the Fuel Main Relay, The distributor, The Fuel pump, Both the main and aux fuel injectors, Spark plugs, Distributor cap and rotor, wires, and Fuel Filter.. Im now clue less.. There's no more codes in the computer but I originally started with a code 15.. when I replaced the fuel pump that went away.. A week later I started with the code 16 so I replaced the main mitsuba relay under the drivers dash.. that code then went away yet the problem Persited with no further codes. So I replaced the distributor and everything else.. Problem still persisted so I checked the timing cause at this point it just would'nt die like previously, it would sputter backfire then die And it set a code 8 in the computer. The code 8 was a missing Igniton signal or TDC sensor which honda informed me was in the distributor and sometimes the cordone reman distributors from kragen are faulty. If I waited an hr it would restart.. Since this was a new problem I figured that maybe I had gotten a faulty distributor.. I went back to the parts store and switched it.. when installed the other distributor the car would then not start at all and I got aggravated and went back to the parts store again.. With Distributor #3 in it now runs till it warms up about 5 minutes or so then dies and will not restart for 24hrs. My friends thinks its either a computer problem or wiring harness problem or possibly a fuel regulator problem.. Any Ideas?? :confused:
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Dec 18, 2006, 06:49 PM
    Run the K-Test, which is explained in the following link:

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/cars-t...ons-46563.html

The K-Test will tell you whether your ECM is any good or not. Clean the main ECM ground on the thermostat housing. After that, run the other tests outlined in sections A and B. Did the new distributor come with a new ICM and coil? Your situation has the appearance of intermittent ECM failure, due to heat. ECMs on these older Civics are are not bullet proof and are starting to fail enmasse. Even though I'm sure your distributor came with a new ICM, it has some earmarks of a bad igniter. I wonder if the back of the igniter was coated with silicone grease to help conduct heat away?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

1999 Honda Civic miles and gas? [ 2 Answers ]

How many miles can a 1999 honda civic drive with one tank of gas? How many gallons can a honda civic have?

Craftsman Weedeater won't stay running [ 5 Answers ]

I have a convertible craftsman weedeater that has run like a champ - until now! I can get it to run briefly, a few minutes at most, then it dies and will not restart. After reading some similar posts I am beginning to suspect either an in tank filter or the inlet filter on the card Sound...

Mower won't stay running [ 3 Answers ]

Mower starts but dies in 2 secs. With the air cleaner off I can keep it running by choking it with my hand. Newer briggs 6 hp. Any thoughts please!

Mower won't stay running [ 2 Answers ]

My mother inlaw has a JD riding mower that's about 8 yrs old and has been in the weather for about the last 6 mnths, and it won't stay running unless I put the booster cables on it and jump it from my truck. It will run as long as they are hooked up but the moment I disconnect them it dies.Is this...

Honda Civic '98 70K miles, no pep [ 1 Answers ]

Him, I have a Honda Civic 1998, and recently had the timing belt replaced, among other regular service things. 70,000 miles. Yesterday I noticed when I step on the gas there is no pep, like it chokes a bit or just doesn't want to speed up. Someone told me I need oil. I'm down a quart. Does this...

View more questions Search