Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Sep 9, 2008, 10:53 AM
    Intentinally slow transfer rate
    I know, a bit unusual question.

Is there any TCP/IP parameter or program that you know of that can limit the transfer rate of a TCP/IP connection on purpose?

I have tuned the registry in XP to get the highest transfer rate like >20 mb/s on a direct link.

I's like to intentionally slow down a PPP link that uses a specific COM port.
    A bandwidth limiter, so to speak.
    Scleros Posts: 2,165, Reputation: 262
    Hardware Expert

Sep 11, 2008, 08:03 PM
    First, a stupid question: Why can't you set port rate on COM port to whatever you need it to be?

See if NetLimiter will do what you need. Another possible option is using traffic shaping capabilities of a router. What's the actual device configuration of what you're doing?
    chuckhole Posts: 850, Reputation: 45

Sep 12, 2008, 07:51 PM
    The Traffic Shapers that I looked at that are free will only monitor. The ones that actually let you apply policies to your traffic cost a little money.

Here are a few more. Some of them out there will only "divy up" the bandwidth in equal portions. Keep an eye out for that.

Bandwidth management and traffic shaping software for Windows
    Traffic Shaper Software
    Uber Member

Sep 12, 2008, 08:07 PM
    I just finished evaluating Traffic Shaper XP. Messes up the ability to access DNS. Errors in the log file. Had to reboot and it would work for a while. Never found if it would work for me. Had to remove it.
    chuckhole Posts: 850, Reputation: 45

Sep 12, 2008, 08:15 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by KeepItSimpleStupid
    I just finished evaluating Traffic Shaper XP. Messes up the ability to access DNS. Errors in the log file. Had to reboot and it would work for a while. Never found if it would work for me. Had to remove it.
    I tried that one too. I can definitely tell you that it DOES NOT work on Vista. BSOD after install.
    Uber Member

Sep 12, 2008, 09:16 PM
    Doesn't work on XP either.
    rooeus Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Oct 24, 2008, 12:14 AM

Try BMF from Bandwidth Management and Firewall, Traffic Shaping Software for Windows it provides firewall and also traffic shaping and works on WXP/W2K3/Vista/W2K8 all 32 and 64 bit.

Rooeus
    Uber Member

Oct 24, 2008, 01:27 AM

Netlimiter works. It just doesn't appear smart enough to limit one adapter.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Very poor transfer rate from External Hard Drive [ 4 Answers ]

Hi all - Hope someone can help Here is the info about my PC before I give the problem Running a Dual core 3.2Ghz Processor - 2GB RAM Windows Vista Home Premium - Norton 360 The Problem is with my FreeCom 400gb External Hard Disk Drive (USB 2) Since a couple of days ago all was fine, I use...

Transfer Rate [ 1 Answers ]

My transfer rates drop radicly while down loading. I am running Win XP home. I have dial up and my rate is about 4200bps. My rates start any where from 12 to 15kb And drop quickly to an average o 1.75bps. What causes this and how do I fix it?

DL transfer rate too low [ 12 Answers ]

My internet for downloading the transfer rate when from some hight number (forget what that was lol) but now, when I download something the net the transfer rate is like 6-9kb whch really sux the big one because DL's take for ever. What can I do to get the transfer rate up, I am on adsl. Don't...

Help.. with transfer rate [ 1 Answers ]

Why when I'm downloading.anything frm net.. my transfer rate... very low... like 10kb or 11kb... my net speed is 1mbps... anyone know how to increase my net transfer rate

View more questions Search